This Keto Flatbread with Asparagus & Goat Cheese is great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Featuring fresh asparagus, creamy goat cheese, plus a rich (and easy) Hollandaise sauce, it is pure perfection. This fresh and vibrant flatbread is keto, low-carb, grain-free, and gluten-free!
Asparagus & Goat Cheese Keto Flatbread
If you need a delicious low-carb dish that will wow your family and friends, look no further than this keto flatbread.
Asparagus, goat cheese, caramelized onions, and Hollandaise sauce all on a fathead dough flatbread.
Then add a little mayonnaise and Parmesan cheese on there to really round out the flavor profile.
All About Fathead Dough
Even though “traditional” flatbread is loaded with carbs, you can still enjoy a flatbread on the keto diet thanks to the wonder that is Fathead dough!
Fathead dough is made out of mozzarella, cream cheese, egg, and almond flour – ingredients that contain lots of healthy fats and nutrients to keep you satisfied!
This Fathead dough recipe can be used for pizzas, sandwiches, and even calzones – essentially anywhere you'd typically have bread.
How to Make Fathead Dough
Check out this video that we made for our Keto Calzones that features how to make fathead dough.
Making The Flatbread
Like you can see in the video - fathead dough is incredibly easy to make!
Simply microwave the mozzarella and cream cheese until they are melted. Then, mix the melted cheese mixture with an egg and almond flour until the dough forms.
Knead the dough with your hands and then roll out the dough between two layers of parchment paper.
Transfer the dough to a baking sheet and bake at 425°F for about 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
That's it! It will look and taste just like a “real” flatbread, but is low-carb, grain-free, and gluten-free!
Keto Flatbread Toppings
This flatbread is great for spring and summer because of the fresh flavors.
We used a combination of asparagus, fresh crumbled goat cheese, Parmesan cheese, onion, and mayo.
Try to get the thinner asparagus. It is more tender than the thick asparagus and works better for this dish.
And snap off the tough ends. Just hold it two-thirds of the way down towards the base of the stalk and break. Wherever it breaks is where the tenderness begins.
How to Make Easy Hollandaise Sauce
The Hollandaise Sauce in this recipes brings all the flavors together and adds a creamy touch to the flatbread.
Making Hollandaise sauce is actually really simple:
- Step 1: Fill a saucepan with about 1 inch of water. Bring it to a simmer over medium-low heat on the stove stop.
- Step 2: Whisk your egg yolks and lemon juice together in a heat-proof bowl (like stainless steel) until thickened.
- Step 3: Place the bowl on top of the saucepan - make sure the water doesn't touch the bottom of the bowl!
- Step 4: Whisk the yolk mixture rapidly, then slowly drizzle in the melted butter and sprinkle with salt. Whisk until the mixture as doubled in size and is nice and thick! Keep the sauce warm until ready to use.
Pro Tip: Just be sure to keep the sauce at a low temperature to make sure you don’t scramble your yolks.
What Equipment You Need
- Rolling pin
- Parchment paper
- Half baking sheet
- Mixing bowls (and a stainless steel one for Hollandaise Sauce)
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
Quick Keto Flatbread Tips Before Your Get Started
- Make sure to both knead and roll out your dough! Don't skip these steps.
- The fathead dough may seem super gooey at first, but keep kneading it until you get a dough-like consistency. It takes a bit of practice, but once you get the hang of it it'll be super easy to make!
- Rinse the asparagus thoroughly and make sure they fit the width of the fathead crust. If they don't, the ends will burn and wilt.
Looking for More Keto Recipes?
Check out these keto favorites that feature fathead crust!
- Keto Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
- Keto Chili Relleno Pizza
- Keto BLT Pizza
- Keto Calzones
- Keto Chicken Nuggets
- Keto Deviled Eggs
Like what you see? Follow us on Instagram and Facebook! Love this recipe? Hit the Pin button below and share it with your friends! Make sure you don’t miss new recipes by subscribing to our mailing list below!
Keto Flatbread with Asparagus & Goat Cheese
For the Flatbread
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 oz. cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup almond flour
For the Toppings
For the Hollandaise Sauce
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- dash of salt
For the Flatbread
- Preheat your oven to 425°F.
- Put the mozzarella and cream cheese in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute.
- Remove, stir, and microwave again for another minute or until fully melted.
- Add the egg and almond flour to the bowl and mix until a dough forms.
- Knead the dough with your hands, spreading it and folding it in half repeatedly until incorporated.
- Bake for about 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
For the Toppings
- Once the fathead crust is in the oven, add the asparagus spears to another baking sheet. Top the asparagus with 1 tablespoon avocado oil and salt and pepper to taste. Place in the oven with the fathead crust for 10 minutes.
- Next move onto the onions. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon avocado oil to a skillet over medium heat. Saute the onions for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned and softened.
- For the Hollandaise Sauce
- While the flatbread, asparagus and onions are cooking, start on the Hollandaise sauce.
- Fill a saucepan with about 1 inch of water. Bring it to a simmer over medium-low heat on the stove stop.
- Whisk your egg yolks and lemon juice together in a heat-proof bowl (like stainless steel) until thickened.
- Place the bowl on top of the saucepan - make sure the water doesn't touch the bottom of the bowl!
- Whisk the yolk mixture rapidly, then slowly drizzle in the melted butter and sprinkle with salt. Whisk until the mixture as doubled in size and is nice and thick! Keep the sauce warm until ready to use.
Assemble the Pizza
- Top your baked flatbread with the mayonnaise, then the caramelized onions, then the roasted asparagus, then the goat cheese and last but not least sprinkle some Parmesan cheese over top.
- Put back in the oven at 425°F for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle with the Hollandaise sauce before serving.
We Can't Wait To See You Try It!
We love seeing our recipes come to life!! We can’t wait to see how you make these and loving seeing each person's unique spin on it! Tag us on Instagram @cleanketolifestyle or use the hashtag #CKLrecipe!