Keto Deep Dish Pizza does exist and couldn't be more delicious. Stuffed with melty cheese, tomatoes, and bacon, this Chicago-style pizza is the perfect dinner for the whole family! It is also keto, low-carb, grain-free, and gluten-free.
Keto Deep Dish Pizza
If you have never enjoyed a deep dish pizza, you are in for a treat.
Originated in Chicago, this pizza is a super-sized version of the standard pizza you are used to.
The key is baking this pizza is a deep pan or skillet to create a crust that surrounds the whole pizza. Then, you fill up the crust with cheese, tomato sauce, and your favorite toppings.
It is truly divine and we can't wait for you to try it!
Check Out Our Most Recent Video
It's All About The Crust
The key to a great deep dish pizza is the the crust. It is what sets it apart from its traditional counterparts.
This is where we had to get creative and come up with a low-carb version that is grain-free and gluten-free.
And we figured it out! Our yeast-based dough is super soft and fluffs up nicely.
The key to this crust is our secret ingredient – whey protein isolate.
Since almond flour is heavier due to the higher moisture content, using whey protein isolate will help to balance the heaviness out and create a lighter crust.
What Is The Best Deep Dish Pan To Use
When making a Chicago-style pizza, you need to make sure you bake it in an deep dish. Hence the name!
We recommend using one of the following:
- 10-inch springform cake pan
- Oven-proof cast iron skillet
- Deep pie dish
What Are The Best Keto Toppings
When it comes to this pizza, the combinations are endless. We like to use a tomato-based sauce and then mix and match the meat and veggies.
We love the salty combination of bacon and ham in this version of our deep dish pizza. But feel free to use whatever meats you have on hand.
Pepperoni, sausage, and even steak would be great substitutes.
When it comes to cheeses, we love the classic combination of mozzarella and Parmesan. We recommend opting for cheeses that melt well.
As for veggies, all the classics are keto:
- Green pepper
- Banana peppers
Just make sure to soften them in a skillet before adding to the crust.
How to Make Keto Deep Dish Pizza
The full instructions are detailed in the recipe card at the end of this post.
But we wanted t give you step-by-step instructions, so you know exactly how to make this low-carb pizza.
Let's review the method now!
Step #1 – Gather Your Ingredients
We are making our keto deep dish crust from scratch, so measure out all the ingredients ahead of time.
You will first start on the proofing your yeast.
Combine the yeast, honey, and water in a medium bowl and stir. Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes or until the mixture becomes frothy.
Step #2 – Make The Dough
Once your yeast mixture is fluffy, then grab your stand mixer and attach the dough hook.
Next, add the olive oil and yeast mixture to the bowl and mix until combined and a dough forms like the picture below.
Step #3 – Let Your Dough Rise
Using your hands, form the dough into a ball in the bowl and rub olive oil all around the outsides.
Keep the dough ball in the mixing bowl,
Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm area to rise for 1 hour.
Step #4 – Par Bake Your Crust
“Par Baking” simply means partially baking.
In this keto deep dish recipe, par-baking your crust before you add the toppings will ensure that the bottom of your crust won't be soggy.
Heat your oven to 400°F.Rub some olive oil on your hands and spread the dough out into your pan.
Make sure the dough completely covers the bottom of the pan and also push it up the sides so that the dough. You want your dough to be no more than 1/4-inch thick.
Bake for 5 minutes in the oven and remove.
Step #5 – Add Your Toppings
In this recipe, we made a quick tomato sauce using onions, garlic, a can of diced tomatoes, and dried spices.
Just saute your onions and garlic in olive oil, add in your diced tomatoes and let reduce down to almost a jam consistency.
To save on time, you can replace the garlic, onions, herbs, and canned tomatoes with your favorite low-carb tomato or marinara sauce. We like Primal Kitchen or Rao's brand.
Now you are ready to assemble your pizza. First, place half of your mozzarella cheese in the par-baked crust.
Next, add half of the cooked meat of your choice (we made ham and bacon), and then half of the tomato sauce mixture.
Layer the remaining meat on top of the tomatoes, followed by the remaining cheese and the remaining tomatoes.
Step #6 – Bake Your Pizza
Sprinkle your deep dish pizza with the grated Parmesan, then put back in the oven.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cheese is melted, the inside is hot, and the crust has turned golden brown.
Serve while hot!
Keto Deep Dish Pizza Cooking Tips
- We recommend using a stand mixer with a hook attachment for the dough, but you can also mix by hand.
- Activating the yeast is key for this dough. Your yeast mixture should be very frothy. If it isn't we recommend dumping it and starting again.
- We love to set our oven to a low temperature and let our dough sit covered on the stove towards the back where the heat escapes. Placing your dough in a warm place will help it to rise.
- Don't be afraid to spread your dough out thinly in your pan or skillet. The crust will fluff and thicken considerably in the oven so you really want to make sure your dough is no more than 1/4-inch thick in the pan.
Looking for More Italian-inspired Keto Recipes?
Check out these fan-favorites:
- Keto Bolognese With Zucchini Ribbons
- Keto Calzones
- Keto Blt Pizza
- Keto Italian Cheese Bread
- Keto Cheese Sticks
For the Crust
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup whey protein isolate
- 2 tablespoons psyllium husk powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for the top of dough
For the Toppings
- 3/4 lb. cooked meat of your choice (sausage, pepperoni, ham, bacon, etc.)
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups whole milk mozzarella, shredded
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, grated
- Combine the yeast, honey, and water in a medium bowl and stir. Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes or until the mixture becomes frothy.
- In a large bowl fitted to a stand mixer with a hook attachment, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, whey protein isolate, psyllium husk powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Next, add the olive oil and yeast mixture to the bowl and mix until combined.
- Using your hands, form the dough into a ball in the bowl and rub olive oil all around the outsides. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
- Heat your oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a 10-inch springform cake pan, cast iron skillet, or pie pan.
- Rub some olive oil on your hands and spread the dough out into your pan/skillet. Make sure the dough covers the bottom and also push it up the sides so that the dough is no more than 1/4-inch thick.
- Bake for 5 minutes in the oven and remove.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add in the olive oil, garlic, and onions. Saute for 3 minutes or until softened, then add in the diced tomatoes, oregano, basil, and red chili flakes. Cook for 10 more minutes until most of the liquid has cooked off and the tomatoes begin to break apart and become jammy.
- Assemble your pizza by placing half of the mozzarella cheese in the par-baked crust, followed by half of the cooked meat of your choice, and then half of the tomato sauce mixture. Add the remaining meat on top of the tomatoes, followed by the remaining cheese and the remaining tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with the grated Parmesan, then bake again for 10-12 minutes or until the cheese is melted, the inside is hot, and the crust has turned golden brown.
- Serve while hot.
We Can't Wait To See You Try It!
We love seeing our recipes come to life!! We can’t wait to see how you make these and loving seeing each person's unique spin on it! Tag us on Instagram @cleanketolifestyle or use the hashtag #CKLrecipe!