This Keto French Onion Soup is the ultimate comfort food! It's cheesy, creamy, and super filling. You'll want to make this recipe over and over again – especially because it's low-carb, keto-friendly, grain-free, and gluten-free!
Keto French Onion Soup
Our Keto French Onion Soup will be your new favorite soup!
It's flavorful, hearty, and absolutely keto-friendly.
Serve this up with some keto biscuits and you have the perfect dinner for a chilly night!
A Weeknight Staple
You will want to serve this French Onion soup over and over again.
It'll become a part of your regular weekly menu.
It's family and friend approved – they won't even know it's keto!
Are Onions Keto Friendly?
Onions have about 6 grams net carbs per 1/2 cup – so they're a little on the carb-y side, but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy some Keto French Onion Soup every once in a while.
This soup has 5.7 grams of net carbs per serving. Not too bad!
Remember, everything in moderation.
What's in Keto French Onion Soup?
To make our Keto French Onion soup, we used the following fresh ingredients.
- Fresh thyme
- Red wine
How to Make Keto French Onion Soup
First, slice your onions. You want about 2 1/2 cups – so start with 2-3 onions.
We like to use yellow onions, but white onions work well too!
Saute them in a large soup pot with some butter, garlic, and herbs.
And lastly, let the soup simmer to allow all the flavors to develop.
The Best Way to Slice Onions for this Soup
Using a chef's knife, trim off both ends of the onion and remove the peel.
Cut the onion in half lengthwise (from the root to the stem).
Place one onion half on a cutting board flat side down with the root at the bottom.
Cut along the vertical lines of the onion from top to bottom into thin slices.
Don't Forget the Biscuits!
The biscuit recipe is optional for this recipe but definitely worth making.
The cheesy, buttery biscuits go so well with the hearty soup flavors. We make these biscuits all the time.
For a little extra fun, add a few herbs or spices!
Once the soup and biscuits are ready – it's time to take this soup to the next level!
Ladle the finished soup into oven-safe bowls, top with our Keto Biscuits (see recipe below), then top with Gruyere or another good melty cheese.
Turn your oven to broil. Place the soup bowls on a baking sheet or in a large casserole and put in the oven for a few minutes until everything is bubbly and the cheesy is melted and starting to turn golden.
Looking for Other Keto Soups?
Check out these fan favorites:
Like what you see? Follow us on Instagram and Facebook! Love this recipe? Hit the Pin button below and share it with your friends! Make sure you don’t miss new recipes by subscribing to our mailing list below!
For the Soup
For the Soup
- Add the butter, onions, garlic, thyme, and bay leaves in a large pot on medium-low heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Saute for about 25-30 minutes or until the onions are softened and turning a caramel brown color.
- Add the red wine, turn up heat to bring the mixture to a boil, and then turn down heat to low and allow to simmer.
- Simmer for 5 minutes or until the alcohol smells like it has been cooked away.
- Add in the coconut flour and stir to combine.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes and then add the beef bone broth.
- Turn heat to high and bring to a boil, cover with lid, then turn down to simmer a for 10-15 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into oven-safe bowls, top with our Keto Biscuits (see recipe below), then top with Gruyere or another good melty cheese.
- Broil for a few minutes until everything is bubbly and starting to turn golden.
For the Biscuits (Makes 12 large biscuits)
- Heat your oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Microwave the mozzarella and cream cheese for 90 seconds, stirring at each 30 second interval until the cheese is melted.
- Attach the hook attachment to a stand mixer. Add the almond flour and xanthan gum to your mixer bowl and mix until combined.
- Add in the eggs, 2 tablespoons of the melted butter, and the yeast mixture. Then add your melted cheese.
- Mix for 10 minutes, scraping down the sides if needed.
- Roll dough into 12-15 balls and place them on the lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle each ball with melted butter and sprinkle coarse salt over top.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 350°F and then turn the oven down to 325°F and bake for another 10 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown on top.
We Can't Wait To See You Try It!
We love seeing our recipes come to life!! We can’t wait to see how you make these and loving seeing each person's unique spin on it! Tag us on Instagram @cleanketolifestyle or use the hashtag #CKLrecipe!