Fall is officially here and these Keto Pumpkin Cake Pops are the perfect autumn treat for the whole family to enjoy! Best of all, these Pumpkin Cake Pops are keto, low-carb, grain-free, and gluten-free!
Keto Pumpkin Cake Pops
Yes, you really can be on keto and eat your cake too! There are so many things we love about these keto pumpkin cake pops.
First of all, the recipe uses real pumpkin! You can't get more fall than that.
Second, there are no added sugars so it's a low-carb recipe.
Plus, they are individually portioned already. So while you don't have to resist the urge to eat more than one, you can if you want to.
Is Pumpkin Keto?
The answer is “yes” in moderation!
Pumpkin is loaded with fiber, potassium, and vitamin C, which are great for a Clean Keto Lifestyle.
However, it does contain some natural sugars (approximately 5 grams per ½ cup) so limit your pumpkin intake to only a few times a week.
How to Make Keto Cake Pops
Have you ever made cake pops before? If not, this is a really easy recipe that is super simple to follow.
You don't need any special equipment either, just some cake pop sticks that you can find online or at a local craft store.
What Equipment You Need:
Step by Step Instructions:
The entire recipe is at the bottom of the post.
But before you get there, we have some helpful tips and photos that explain each step.
Step 1. Make the Keto Cake Pop Batter
The first step is to make the pumpkin cake batter. In regular cake pops, you bake a cake and then crumble it up. It's the same thing here.
So to start, preheat your oven to 350°F and line an 8″ x 11″ baking dish with parchment paper.
Then mix up the pumpkin cake batter in a large bowl so it looks like the picture below.
Step 2. Bake the Cake Batter
Spread the batter into the lined baking dish and let it bake for 25 minutes at 350°F.
Step 3. Crumble the Pumpkin Cake
After 25 minutes, the remove the pumpkin cake from the oven and let it cool slightly.
This is the hard part – try not to eat the cake. It'll smell like everything you love about autumn – warmth, cinnamon spices, and of course pumpkin.
When it cools down, take a fork to the cake and crumble it up.
Step 4. Make the Cream Cheese Frosting
The frosting couldn't be easier to make.
There are just two ingredients – cream cheese and confectioner erythritol.
Pro Tip: Save this frosting recipe cause you can use it again on other keto desserts.
Step 5. Add the Frosting to the Pumpkin Cake Crumbles
After you whip up the frosting, put it in a mixing bowl with the pumpkin cake crumbles. Then, mix it all together.
This mixture will be the base for the keto cake pops.
Your frosting and pumpkin cake batter combined should look like the picture below.
Doesn't this look amazing? Again, it will take even more restraint to resist eating spoonfuls right out of the bowl.
Step 6. Form the Pumpkin Cake Balls
Now you are ready to make the cake balls.
Put some parchment paper down on a baking sheet so the balls don't stick to the pan.
Step 7. Refrigerate the Cake Balls
After you form the balls and put them on the baking sheet, put the entire thing in the refrigerator.
Step 8. Melt the Chocolate and Coconut Oil
While the pumpkin cake balls are chilling you can melt the chocolate and coconut oil.
We used a double broiler or feel free to microwave the mixture. If you melt it in the microwave, take it out every 30 seconds or so and stir it.
Step 9. Dip the Cake Pop Stick into the Chocolate
After 30 minutes, you will be ready to dip the cake pop sticks into the melted chocolate.
Make sure to only dip them in about 3/4 inch – like in the picture below.
Avoid putting too much chocolate on the sticks, that way you don't have any extra chocolate sticking out of the pretty cake pops.
Step 10. Put the Sticks into the Cake Balls
After you dip the sticks into the melted chocolate, immediately stick them almost all the way through the cake pops.
Do this gently.
You don't want to go all the way through, but you also want it to be deep enough so the cake pops stay on the stick when you pick them up.
Step 11. Dip the Cake Pops Into the Melted Chocolate
Now you are ready to dip the cake pops into the melted chocolate.
Slowly rotate the cake pop stick in a circular motion to full coat the cake ball.
Let the chocolate drip back into the bowl before setting the pumpkin cake pops down on the parchment paper.
Final Step! Sprinkle Turmeric on Top of the Pumpkin Cake Pops
Lastly, sprinkle some turmeric on top of the cake pops. This is optional, but it will bring out a burst of flavor and make these cake pops look and taste even more like fall.
Don't have turmeric? You can also use pumpkin spice or cinnamon as the dusting spice.
Your cake pops should look like this when you are done! Let the chocolate set slightly and then store the cake pops in the refrigerator.
- Be Prepared: Buy your cake pop sticks ahead of time. You can find them at any craft store or buy them online. We recommend buying them in bulk, so you always have some on hand. A pack of 100 sticks in only $5 on Amazon.
- Keep Your Cake Balls Small: Don't make your cake balls too big! Cake balls that are too big are prone to falling apart during the chocolate dipping process. We found that 1.25 inches round is a perfect size.
- Refrigerate The Cake Balls: Make sure to refrigerate the cake balls for at least 30 minutes so that they are cold when you dip them in the melted chocolate. Don't skip this step! This will keep the chocolate from running down to the base of the cake pop too much. Also, store your finished cake pops in the fridge.
Like what you see? Follow us on Instagram and Facebook! Love this recipe? Hit the Pin button below and share it with your friends! Make sure you don’t miss new recipes by subscribing to our mailing list below!
For the Cake
- 1/2 cup melted grass-fed butter
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup keto brown sugar substitute (such as Sukrin Gold)
- 3 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour
For the Frosting
- 4 oz. softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup confectioner erythritol
For the Chocolate Coating
For the Cake
- Heat your oven to 350°F and line an 8" x 11" baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the butter, egg, pumpkin puree, keto brown sugar substitute, vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon until well combined.
- Stir in the almond flour until fully incorporated.
- Smooth the pumpkin batter into the lined baking dish and bake for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
- Using a fork crumble the cake batter and then pour the crumbles into a large bowl and set aside.
For the Frosting
- In a small bowl, mix together the cream cheese and confectioner erythritol until fully combined.
- Add the cream cheese mixture to the bowl with the cake crumbles and mix well to form a batter.
- Form the batter into 1.25" balls and line them up on parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Refrigerate the balls for 30 minutes.
For the Chocolate Coating
- Using a double broiler over medium low heat melt the chocolate and coconut oil together. Make sure to not overheat or burn the chocolate. If you don't have a double broiler, you can add the chocolate and coconut oil to a small bowl and microwave for 30 seconds until fully melted.
- Once melted completely, stir the chocolate and coconut oil to combine fully.
- Remove the balls from the refrigerator.
- First, gently dip the cake pop stick into the melted chocolate so that the chocolate covers only 3/4" of the bottom of the stick.
- Immediately, place the cake pop stick straight into the ball to create a cake pop. The chocolate covered end of the stick should go into the cake ball.
- Repeat this process for all of the cake balls.
- Next, dip each cake pop into the melted chocolate, rotating the pop around so that it is evenly coated.
- Place the chocolate coated cake pops back on the same parchment lined baking sheet and let the chocolate begin to set.
- Once the chocolate has slightly set, sprinkle a little ground turmeric on each cake pop for an added "Fall" appeal (optional).
- Store the cake pops in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
We Can't Wait To See You Try It!
We love seeing our recipes come to life!! We can’t wait to see how you make these and loving seeing each person's unique spin on it! Tag us on Instagram @cleanketolifestyle or use the hashtag #CKLrecipe!