Indulge your sweet tooth with these Keto Zucchini Bread Whoopie Pies! The zucchini bread layers are so soft and perfectly compliment the tangy cream cheese frosting inside. They are keto, low-carb, grain-free, and gluten-free!
Keto Zucchini Bread Whoopie Pies
Whoopie Pies are amazing. They are basically cookies with filling inside. You know, what OREOs want to be when they grow up.
And these zucchini bread whoopie pies are the best version!
You don't need a glass of milk with whoopie pies. They are delicate and chewy and fall apart in your mouth. Oh, they are so good.
And these are keto-friendly! Read on to learn how to make these low-carb whoopie pies that you don't have to feel guilty about eating.
How to Make Keto Zucchini Bread Whoopie Pies
These are pretty simple to make. You just have to bake zucchini bread cookies.
Then, whip up some keto cream cheese frosting and fill the cookies with the frosting.
And finally, try not to eat the entire batch at once. It's tough, we know!
The entire recipe is at the bottom of the post. But first, we made this video tutorial so you can see how easy these are to make! Watch it now!
Main Ingredients in Keto Zucchini Whoopie Pies
First things things first, gather all of your ingredients and measure them out.
You will probably have most of the ingredients on hand in your pantry or fridge.
Here is a quick list of what you need:
- Almond flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Coconut oil
- Ground cinnamon
- Xanthan gum
- Vanilla extract
- Granular erythritol (like Swerve)
- Confectioner erythritol (if you don't have this on hand, you can add the granular erythritol to a food processor and process until if becomes a powder)
- Cream cheese
- Sour cream
How To Shred Zucchini Noodles
This recipe calls for shredded zucchini, so let's break down the basics.
You don't need to peel the zucchini before you shred it. But you should cut off both ends of the zucchini.
Either use a food processor or shred them using a handheld grater. Both options work.
- Food Processor: Add the grating attachment to your food processor. Cut your zucchini into several smaller pieces for easier grating. Turn on the food processor and place the zucchini in the shoot of the processor to grate.
- Handheld Grater: Place a standup box grater on a plate or cutting board on the counter and shred the zucchini by continuously running it over the large holes of the grater.
Lightly dry the shredded zucchini with paper towels.
Whoopie Pie Batter
We are going to start with the zucchini bread cookies first.
In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients and in a larger bowl mix together all the wet ingredients.
Next, stir in the shredded zucchini to the wet ingredients bowl.
Slowly pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
If you have ever made zucchini bread before, this batter will look familiar. Since we are making cookies out of it, it won't be nearly as fluffy. It'll appear a bit denser.
It should be a nice, thick batter (like the picture below).
How to Make Perfect-Sized Cookies
Take roughly 1 tablespoon of batter and form 2 inch circles on two lined baking sheets spaced 2 inches apart.
The recipe makes 16 whoopie pies, which means you need 32 zucchini bread cookies.
If you don't have two baking sheets, you can make the cookies in two batches. The cookies only take 10 minutes to bake, so it won't add much extra time.
To keep all the cookies the same size, use an ice cream scoop. It's important to keep them the same size so they all cook at the same time (you don't want any to burn while others are still gooey).
Plus, if they are the same size, they will make prettier whoopie pies.
Add the cookies to the oven and bake at 350°F for 10 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
Keto Whoopie Pie Filling
While the cookies are baking, make your filling.
All you need to do is add the ingredients to a mixing bowl and use an electric mixer to combine.
Using an electric mixer will get the filling really light and well-whipped.
This filling has a similar taste and texture to frosting, so save this recipe and reuse it on top of keto cupcakes next time.
Use a Piping Bag to Add the Frosting
Make sure the cookies are cooled off completely before adding the frosting. If you add it too soon (while they are still warm), the frosting will melt.
If you want the whoopie pies to have a pretty look to them, use a piping bag.
Don't have a piping bag? Make your own! Put the frosting in a zippered plastic bag and cut a hole in the corner.
Now you are ready to squeeze the frosting onto the cookies.
Pipe about 2 tablespoons of frosting on the bottom zucchini bread cookie layer.
Add another zucchini cookie on top and gently press down so that the frosting spreads almost to the edge of the cookie layers.
How Many Net Carbs Are in Zucchini Bread Whoopie Pies?
There are about 2.5 net carbs in each cookie. That's it!
So you really could eat a few of these at a sitting without hurting your macros.
Since these are so low in carbs, you can enjoy them as a keto-friendly breakfast.
Take them to your next party or serve them at a weekend brunch. They present beautifully.
Are These Keto Whoopie Pies Good for You?
Actually, they are pretty nutritious. Normally, whoopie pies are full of sugars and refined grains.
But our Clean Keto version is low-carb, grain-free, and full of vitamins, so eat up.
They are a fantastic source of healthy fats and protein.
Plus, the shredded zucchini contains significant amounts of Vitamin B6, riboflavin, folate, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, potassium, and manganese.
Can You Leave Out the Shredded Zucchini?
This recipe is really easy to modify. If you don't like zucchini or don't have any on hand, you can leave it out completely. It won't change the cookies that much.
Or, you can replace the zucchini with shredded carrots. That will add some color to it. Just make sure the carrots are shredded very thin since they have a different texture.
Also, carrots have a higher carb count, so the macros will change a little.
Craving More Keto Dessert Recipes?
If you’d like more delicious desserts that are perfectly keto, then check out these favorites:
- Keto Raspberry Cheesecake Bars
- Keto Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Keto Triple Chocolate Doughnuts
- Keto Apricot And Pistachio Dark Chocolate Bark
- Keto Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
Keto Zucchini Bread Whoopie Pies
For the Zucchini Bread Layers
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup granular erythritol
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded zucchini lightly dried with paper towels
For the Zucchini Bread Layers
- Heat your oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Stir in the shredded zucchini.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Take roughly 1 tablespoon of batter (we like to use an ice cream scoop) and form 2 inch circles on the lined baking sheet spaced 2 inches apart.
- Use your finger to smooth the edges so that they are smooth and a nice circular shape.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until the tops start to turn golden brown.
- Allow to cool before removing from the baking sheet.
For Cream Cheese Frosting Filling
- Beat all the ingredients together with an electric mixer in a medium sized bowl.
- Transfer the frosting to a piping bag or ziploc sandwich bag (if using a ziploc bag, snip off about 1” from the bottom corner of the bag).
- Pipe about 2 tablespoons of frosting on the bottom zucchini pie layer.
- Add another zucchini pie layer on top and gently press down so that the frosting spreads almost to the edge of the cake layers.
- Pat the shredded zucchini with kitchen towel, but don't squeeze it. You want to keep the moisture in for the best pies.
- Combine the cookie dough ingredients thoroughly so that there is no dry flour left.
- Bake the cookies in a pre heated oven so that they cook evenly.
- Allow the cookies to cool before frosting them so that the filling doesn't run off.
We Can't Wait To See You Try It!
We love seeing our recipes come to life!! We can’t wait to see how you make these and loving seeing each person's unique spin on it! Tag us on Instagram @cleanketolifestyle or use the hashtag #CKLrecipe!