These Samoa Keto Doughnuts are inspired by our favorite girl scout cookie! They feature the perfect amount of chocolate, caramel, and coconut and are incredibly delicious! These doughnuts are keto, low-carb, grain-free, and gluten-free!
Samoa Keto Doughnuts Are A Guilt-Free Treat
Our favorite Girl Scout cookies have to be the Samoas. The combination of caramel, coconut, and chocolate is irresistible.
Right about the time they start selling the cookies is when we start thinking about ways to “keto-fy” them!
Say hello to our latest creation – Samoa Keto Doughnuts!
Now you can indulge in a doughnut and not get kicked out of ketosis! Who said you can't have doughnuts on keto? They didn't try these.
The Perfect Samoa Combination
These doughnuts have everything we love about the Samoa cookies – a grain-free layer that tastes like a cookie, dark chocolate, and a caramel topping with coconut.
You'll want to double this recipe. Even people that aren't on the keto diet will be snacking on these donuts.
Other Ways To Make Keto Samoa Treats
There are lots of different ways you can combine these iconic flavors. From bars to pies, here are our favorite low-carb Samoa recipes.
- Keto Samoa Bars – This is very similar to our donut recipe, except it's an easy bar recipe
- Keto Samoa Cookies – These look just like the Girl Scout cookies! You'll love this homemade version.
- Samoa Pie – It has a chocolate crust on the bottom layer. It looks way too sinful to be low-carb!
- Samoa Fudge Bombs – Fat bombs cut your sugar cravings and help you stay full. This is an excellent recipe.
Check out Our Most Popular Recipe!
We made a video to give you the step-by-step instructions on how to make our Keto Zucchini Bread Whoopie Pies!
Are Samoa Cookies the Same As Caramel De-Lites?
Yes, Samoa cookies are the exact same cookies as Caramel De-Lites.
The Girl Scouts use two different bakeries in the US.
Depending on where you live, you will either buy Samoas or Caramel De-Lites, but they are the same thing.
Can You Freeze Keto Doughnuts?
Yes, you can freeze keto doughnuts. However, you should freeze them before you put on the chocolate and caramel toppings.
We suggest baking the doughnuts, leting them cool completely, and then freezing them.
That way you can heat up the doughnuts in the oven and make the toppings for them fresh.
How To Make Samoa Keto Doughnuts
Don't let the list of ingredients intimidate you. It's a really simple recipe that even beginning bakers can make these!
Aside from the ingredients, the only equipment you need are:
- Mixing bowls
- 2 (6 count) doughnut tins
- Small saucepan
- Electric mixer (stand or hand)
The entire recipe is in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post. But first, let's go over the steps in detail with some photos and tips.
Step #1. Mix Together the Doughnut Layer
Beat together the butter and eggs first, until they are fluffy.
This will help everything else mix together better.
After you mix all the doughnut ingredients together, the batter will look like the picture below.
Step #2. Bake The Doughnuts
Evenly place the batter into your doughnut pan. We love our doughnut tins.
We made our triple chocolate doughnuts in them and they turned out perfectly!
Don't forget to grease the tins with some coconut oil or nonstick spray.
Bake for 15 minutes at 350°F.
Step #3. Make the Keto Chocolate Sauce
You'll be able to lick the spoon guilt-free.
Although you can use a double-boiler method to melt your chocolate, we find that melting the chocolate in the microwave is the easiest way!
We like to melt the chocolate at 30-minute intervals, stirring between each.
After you make the chocolate drizzle, begin to pour it all over the doughnuts.
You can be as generous or conservative with it as you want . If you don't like chocolate very much, just add a little bit.
Also, make sure to reserve at least 1 tablespoon so you can drizzle it onto top as a finishing touch.
We love chocolate so much that we dipped the doughnuts in the melted chocolate. We wanted to cover them in as much chocolate as possible! Yum!
Allow each component to cool before building your doughnut to prevent the toppings from slipping off and becoming messy.
Step #4. Make the Low-Carb Coconut Caramel Sauce
While the chocolate layer is cooling, make the caramel sauce.
For our low-carb caramel sauce, we used these easy ingredients:
- Heavy Cream
- Sukrin Gold (A brown sugar substitute)
- Egg yolks
- Xanthan Gum
- Vanilla Extract
- Shredded Coconut
You also need to temper the egg yolks. Tempering egg yolks is easy.
It is just a process that prevents the egg yolks from scrambling. We want to slowly raise the temperature of the egg yolks by gradually adding in hot liquid.
This will keep the yolks soft instead of cooking. We don't want chunks of egg in our caramel!
Once the sauce is ready and has adequately cooled, just use a spoon to spread the sauce over the doughnuts very carefully.
Step #5. Final Touches
After the caramel layer has been added to the doughnuts, put the reserved tablespoon of chocolate into the microwave for 15-30 seconds to melt.
Use a spoon to drizzle the melted chocolate over the tops of the doughnuts in zig zags.
And sprinkle with coarse salt for an added flavor dimension (this step is optional).
Allow to cool before enjoying!!!
How to Store Leftovers
These doughnuts are so good, they will go fast!!
If you do have any leftovers, store them in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 7 days.
But we doubt they will last that long!
More Keto Desserts
If you enjoyed these doughnuts, you should make these keto recipes next!
Like what you see? Follow us on Instagram and Facebook! Love this recipe? Hit the Pin button below and share it with your friends! Make sure you don’t miss new recipes by subscribing to our mailing list below!
For the Doughnut Layer
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 5 eggs
- 3/4 cup granular erythritol
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
For the Chocolate Layer
- 1 cup chocolate chips of your choice
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
For the Caramel Layer
For the Doughnut Layer
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease your doughnut tin(s) with some coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and eggs with an electric mixer for 3 minutes or until fluffy.
- Add in the erythritol and beat again for another minute.
- Beat in the remaining ingredients.
- Pour the the batter evenly into the 12 doughnut wells
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Allow the doughnuts to cool slightly before carefully removing them (using a knife helps with the removal) and move onto the chocolate layers.
For the Chocolate Layer
- In a microwave safe bowl, microwave the chocolate and coconut oil together in 30 seconds intervals stirring between each one just until melted.
- Use a spoon to spread the chocolate over the tops of the baked doughnuts. (Reserve 1 tablespoon of the melted chocolate to use as a drizzle later.)
- Allow the chocolate-covered doughnuts to cool and move onto the caramel layer.
For the Caramel Layer
- In a small saucepan, heat the heavy cream and butter until bubbling.
- Add in the Sukrin Gold and allow the mixture to simmer, just bubbling but not boiling, for 15 minutes to thicken.
- Place your egg yolks into a small bowl. Temper the egg yolks, by pouring a small amount of the heavy cream mixture into the yolks. Immediately whisk vigorously to avoid the yolks scrambling. Then add a little more heavy cream and quickly whisk again.
- Once the eggs are tempered, pour the yolk mixture into the saucepan with the heavy cream mixture and whisk again.
- Stir in the xanthan gum and vanilla extract.
- Next, stir in shredded coconut.
- Remove the sauce from heat and allow to cool moderately.
- Use a spoon to spread the caramel over the cooled chocolate-covered doughnuts.
For the Chocolate Drizzle
- After the caramel layer has been added to the doughnuts, put the reserved tablespoon of chocolate into the microwave for 15-30 seconds to melt.
- Use a spoon to drizzle the melted chocolate over the tops of the doughnuts in zig zags.
- Sprinkle with coarse salt (optional).
- Allow to cool before eating.
We Can't Wait To See You Try It!
We love seeing our recipes come to life!! We can’t wait to see how you make these and loving seeing each person's unique spin on it! Tag us on Instagram @cleanketolifestyle or use the hashtag #CKLrecipe!