Our Keto Soft Pretzels rival any standard carb-filled pretzel in terms of softness and chewiness. Pair these with your choice of Creamy Cheese Dip or Mustard Butter or both! These keto soft pretzels are keto, low-carb, grain-free, and gluten-free!
Keto Soft Pretzels
This is a keto appetizer or snack that you are going to want to make immediately!
You've never tasted anything like these.
They are soft and chewy. They crisp up perfectly. And the large salt crystals satiate any salty-snack craving you have.
Your Favorite Low-Carb Pretzels
These are going to become your favorite homemade low-carb pretzels. Make them once, and you'll be hooked. We promise!
Every single bite tastes like carb-filled goodness. But there are only 3.6 grams of net carbs in each pretzel!
It's like keto magic.
What's in Keto Soft Pretzels?
If you have baked any keto desserts lately, you probably have these ingredients on hand already. The entire recipe is in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Here's what you need in your kitchen to make the pretzels:
Is Dry Yeast Keto-Friendly?
Yes, yeast is keto-friendly. Most people associate yeast with carby breads like white or wheat bread. Yeast is the ingredient that makes the bread fluffy. So the yeast in this recipe makes it softer, chewier and helps it rise in the oven.
Without the yeast, these pretzels would look more like flat bread.
How to Store Keto Soft Pretzels
These are so yummy, you'll be tempted to eat them all in one day. We suggest freezing a large batch of them so you can eat them later on.
You can store them at room temperature on the counter top for a day.
Or, put them in the refrigerator in a sealed container or bag, for about a week.
They will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 6 months.
How to Freeze Keto Pretzels
Since these are so tasty, you might want to bake up a double batch and freeze them. Here's how to freeze our keto soft pretzels, and how to thaw them to eat later.
- Let them cool off completely. You can do this by just letting them sit on the counter or store them in the fridge.
- Wrap them individually in plastic wrap. This is especially important if you are going to be thawing them individually. The plastic wrap will also make sure they don't freeze together in one big clump.
- Put them all in a zippered freezer bag. Label the bag with the date you froze them.
When you are ready to thaw a few, just pull them out and put them in the refrigerator. They will thaw overnight.
Then, you can either warm them back up in the oven or in the microwave. The microwave might change the texture a bit. We suggest warming them in the oven, at 300°F for about 10-15 minutes.
The Best Dipping Sauce for Keto Pretzels
These pretzels taste great with so many different dipping sauces!
- Our CKL Cheese Sauce (see recipe below)
- Homemade Mustard Butter (see recipe below)
- Spinach & Artichoke Dip
What Equipment You Need
What to Use Instead of a Stand Mixer
But if you don't have one right this minute, you can mix the dough by hand.
Don't use an electric mixer, because that will over-mix it. You want to be careful with the yeast so it can still do its job and fluff up the pretzels.
What Type of Salt to Use On Top of Soft Pretzels
Any kind of coarse salt works for these. If you want, you can even use pink Himalayan salt.
We think this sea salt looks – and tastes – amazing on the pretzels.
Keto Soft Pretzel Dough – Melt the Cheese Completely
The dough for the soft pretzel uses a combination of melted mozzarella cheese and cream cheese.
Make sure all the cheese is completely melted. If you notice any tiny shreds that aren't melted, keep melting it.
Let the Dough Cool Before Rolling It Out
This is going to be a super-sticky dough.
It's a lot easier to work with if you let it cool off completely after melting the mozzarella. It usually takes about 10 minutes to cool down enough to work with.
How to Make the Perfect Soft Pretzel Shape
There's an art to folding the perfect soft pretzel shape. We have some step-by-step pictures to help you see the entire process.
But first, tape down your parchment paper. You'll be rolling out very sticky dough. Taping down the paper will save you a lot of frustration.
Step 1. Roll Out the Dough Into a U Shape
First, make a long snake out of your dough. Then, form the letter U.
Step 2. Lay the Left Leg On Top of the Right One
Next, pick up the left “leg” of the U, and put it on top of the right one. It should look like the photo below.
Step 3. Twist the “Legs” Once
Pick up the legs and twist them once, putting the left one underneath the right one. It should look like the photo below.
Step 4. Pull the Legs Down and Form a Pretzel Shape
Now you are ready to make it look like a pretzel. Just take those twisted “legs” and pull them down towards you and lay them on the middle of the pretzel.
See! Aren't they pretty?
Bake the Keto Soft Pretzels
Now that you have all of your pretzels formed, sprinkle some salt on the pretzels before you bake them.
Otherwise, the salt won't stick to the pretzels if you wait until the end.
Bake the pretzels in the oven at 350°F for 25-30 minutes.
Keep the Dough Thin
Since the pretzels rise in the oven, roll the pretzel dough out into ropes that are no thicker than 3/4 inch thick.
In other words, you want them to look like thin snakes.
How to Make Different-Sized Pretzels
Here are the sizes and shapes for other pretzels.
- For 12 small pretzels, roll the dough out in 14-inch long ropes.
- For 9 medium pretzels, roll the dough out into 18-inch long ropes.
- For 4 large pretzels, roll the dough out into 24-inch long ropes.
Then just follow the same method as detailed above to create your pretzel shapes.
Like what you see? Follow us on Instagram and Facebook! Love this recipe? Hit the Pin button below and share it with your friends! Make sure you don’t miss new recipes by subscribing to our mailing list below!
For the Pretzels
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast, mixed with 2 tablespoons warm water
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons melted butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
For the Cheese Dip (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
For the Mustard Butter (optional)
- 4 tablespoons room-temperature butter
- 1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon raw honey (provides a touch of sweetness and adds only 1.5 net carbs)
For the Pretzels
- Heat your oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized microwave safe bowl, microwave the mozzarella and cream cheese for 1 minute. Remove and stir, then microwave again for 40 seconds. Stir again and microwave for another 30 seconds if needed or until the cheese is completely melted and there are no visible shreds.
- In a large bowl fitted to stand mixer with a hook attachment, mix together the almond flour, xanthan gum, yeast mixture, eggs, and 1 tablespoon melted butter.
- Next add in the melted cheese mixture.
- Beat on medium speed until all the ingredients are combined, scraping the sides of the bowl to help get the dough mixed together.
- Allow the dough to cool slightly for 10 minutes so that it is easier to work with.
- Tape a large sheet of parchment to your counter.
- Portion the dough into equal portions (12 portions for small pretzels, 9 portions for medium pretzel, 4 portions for giant pretzels).
- Roll each dough portion into a rope shape that is no thicker than 3/4 of an inch.
- Form pretzel shapes with the dough (see the pictures above for our technique) and place them on the lined baking sheets.
- Space them at least 1 1/2 inches apart from one another.
- Brush on the remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter to the tops of the pretzels and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
For the Cheese Dip (optional)
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Slowly stir in the heavy cream continuing to stir until the mixture comes to a low boil.
- Stir in the xanthan gum.
- Add the cheddar cheese and stir until the cheese is fully incorporated.
- Stir in the mustard.
- Let the cheese mixture simmer over low heat for 5- 10 minutes or until it's reached your desired thickness.
For the Mustard Butter (optional)
- In small bowl, mix all the ingredients together.
The pretzels can be stored at room temperature for one day. Store in refrigerator after one day.
We Can't Wait To See You Try It!
We love seeing our recipes come to life!! We can’t wait to see how you make these and loving seeing each person's unique spin on it! Tag us on Instagram @cleanketolifestyle or use the hashtag #CKLrecipe!