Here at CKL we are all about food quality and convenience! That is why we love ButcherBox so much! ButcherBox delivers 100% grass-fed beef, free range organic chicken and heritage breed pork directly to your door. Think of them as your neighborhood butcher who you can count on for quality meats at an affordable price.
Why Eating Quality Protein Is So Important
Aside from macronutrient ratio guidelines, an important (and often disregarded part) of keto is food quality and centering your diet around food that encourages healing.
This is especially true when it comes to protein. Eating quality protein is critical for everyone regardless of what diet you are on.
Conventional protein sources today (meat, poultry, eggs, and seafood) that are the most widely available to consumers are also most likely mass produced, factory-farmed, and unhealthy for you.
Most of these animals are raised in conditions that are overcrowded and dirty. To control disease, these animals are pumped full of antibiotics and other pesticides.
They are also fed a grain-based diet which results in inflammation, depleted nutrients, and high instances of omega-6 fatty acids (the bad kind if too high) in the animals.
Remember at the end of the day, “You are what your food eats!” so it is vital to understand where your protein is coming from and how it is raised.
Our definition of quality protein means sourcing and consuming grass-fed beef, pastured poultry and eggs, heritage-breed pork, and wild-caught seafood.
It is 100% worth the extra effort to find and purchase quality protein. It is necessary for your health to eat the most nutrient dense, clean protein available.
Quality Protein With No Extra Effort Required!
When we first started our healing journeys with the ketogenic diet, we struggled to find quality protein in our local grocery stores.
It was extremely frustrating and we were desperate to find meats that weren't fed grain-based diets and pumped up with antibiotics. Two things that were necessary to avoid as we were battling our autoimmune diseases and trying to eliminate inflammation within our bodies.
After spending hours calling local butcher shops and nearby farms, we finally found one farm that actually had grass-fed beef and pastured chicken. Unfortunately, it required a 2 hour round trip drive to get it.
While we were grateful that we found this farm – the time and effort required to pick up the meat was incredibly inconvenient.
Even today, grass-fed, grass-finished and pasture-raised animal protein is still tricky to find at the grocery stores.
That is why we are so thankful that ButcherBox came into our lives!
They are by far the most convenient solution that we found to source our protein and you can't beat the quality or price!
Watch the video below to learn more about ButcherBox!
What is ButcherBox?
ButcherBox is a meat subscription service that delivers customized boxes of the tastiest cuts of 100% grass-fed beef, organic/pastured chicken, and heritage breed pork to your front door every month.
Their meat is always free of antibiotics and hormones, so you can feel good about what you are feeding yourself and your family! Here are the details on the quality of their meats:
- All the beef is 100% grass-fed and grass-finished and never given antibiotics or hormones. All the cattle are humanely raised and live their entire life on pasture, eating a natural diet of grass.
- The chicken is both organic and pasture-raised. It’s Certified Humane, meaning that the chickens have access to the outdoors and to shelter, are naturally fed, have plenty of room to move and do what chickens naturally do, interact with other chickens, and minimize stress at each stage of life.
- The pork is heritage breed and free of antibiotics and hormones. The pork is either pastured, or meets the standards of being raised in open barns with space to engage in natural behaviors and given bedding. No tail docking or other physical alterations are allowed.
Also, the meat is frozen at the peak of freshness and individually vacuum-packaged.
Oh and did we mention it taste incredible?! It is really amazing how much better high-quality meat tastes.
Featured Recipe Video
How Does ButcherBox Work?
It couldn't be easier really.
You simply head to their website, pick the size of your box, and then pick the type and cuts of meat that you want!!
The whole process takes less than 5 minutes and the best part is that your customized box full of high-quality protein will be delivered straight to your door!
You can't get more convenient than that!! Plus, shipping is FREE!
What Comes In My Box?
You have two size options for your ButcherBox:
- Small Box (aka the Classic Box): Comes with 9-14 pounds of meat, which equates to about 30 meals. The Classic Box is great for individuals and small families. With this box, you will choose 6 cuts of meat.
- Large Box (aka the Big Box): Comes with 18-26 pounds of meat, which equates to about 60 meals. The Big Box is great for larger families. With this box, you will choose 12 cuts of meat.
And you have the power to customize everything in your box.
Here are the various cuts to choose from:
Beef – 100% Grass-Fed & Grass-Finished
- NY Strip Steaks – 2 x 10 oz. steaks
- Ribeyes – 2 x 10 oz. steaks
- Ranch Steaks – 2 x 8 oz. steaks
- Top Sirloin Steaks – 4 x 6 oz. steaks
- Sirloin Cap – 1 x 1.5 lbs. sirloin cap
- Chuck Roast – 1 x 2.25 lbs. roast
- Bottom of the Round Roast – 2.25 lbs.
- Sirloin Tips – 1 x 1 lb. pack
- Ground Sirloin (90/10) – 2 x 1 lb. packs
- Ground Beef (85/15) – 2 x 1 lb. packs
- Stew Beef – 2 x 1 lb. pack
Chicken – Free-Range, Organic
- Whole Chicken – 1 x 3.5 lbs. chicken
- Bone-in Chicken Thighs – 3 x 1 lb. packs
- Chicken Tenders – 3 x 1 lb. packs
- Chicken Drumsticks – 3 x 1 lb. packs
- Boneless Skinless Breasts – 3 x 1 lb. packs
Pork – Heritage-Breed
- Boneless Pork Chops – 4 x 8 oz. chops
- Pork Tenderloin – 1 x 14 oz. tenderloin
- Boneless Pork Butt – 1 x 3.5 lbs. pork butt
- Bone-in Pork Butt – 1 x 5.5 lbs. pork butt
- St. Louis Ribs – 1 x 2.8 lbs. rack
- Baby Back Ribs – 1 x 2.5 lbs. rack
- No Sugar-Added Bacon – 1 x 10 oz. pack
- Ground Pork – 2 x 1 lb packs.
- Breakfast Sausage – 1 x 1 lb. pack
As you can see, there is a large variety of cuts, making it fun to mix and match!!
Your ButcherBox is shipped with a specific amount of dry ice that's carefully calculated based on your geographic location so it will arrive ready to seamlessly transfer to your freezer!
How Much Does It Cost?
The price varies by which size box you choose, but on average it ends up being about $4-6 per meal. So it is very affordable!
But we have even better news for you!
We have partnered with ButcherBox to pass along an exclusive offer to our CKL readers!
When you sign up using this link – you will get this special offer:
- $20 off your order
- FREE! 2 Packages of uncured, nitrate free bacon
- FREE! 2 Pounds of 100% grass-fed, grass-finished ground beef
Yes – you are reading that correctly!! It is an incredible offer and we are so excited to share it with you!
Hopefully by now, we’ve convinced you to upgrade the meat you are eating and give ButcherBox a try!
And we hope you take advantage our awesome special offer exclusive to our Clean Keto Lifestyle community.
We truly hope you found this post and video helpful!
If you need some ButcherBox recipe inspiration, here are a few of our favorites:
- Keto Bang Bang Chicken Fingers
- Keto Crispy Fried Chicken
- Keto Crispy Oven Baked Buffalo Chicken Thighs
- Keto Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
- Keto Taco Kebabs
- Keto BLT Pizza
- Keto Bacon Mushroom Swiss Burger With Caramelized Onions
So what are you waiting for? Get your ButcherBox today!