Samoa Keto Doughnuts with Caramel and Chocolate
These Samoa Keto Doughnuts are inspired by our favorite girl scout cookie! They feature the perfect amount of chocolate, caramel, and coconut, and are incredibly delicious! These doughnuts are keto, low-carb, grain-free, and gluten-free!
Servings: 12 Servings
For the Doughnut Layer
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 5 eggs
- 3/4 cup granular erythritol
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
For the Chocolate Layer
- 1 cup keto-friendly chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
For the Caramel Layer
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar substitute such as Sukrin Gold
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
For the Doughnut Layer
Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease your doughnut tin(s) with some coconut oil.
In a large bowl, beat together the butter and eggs with an electric mixer for 3 minutes or until fluffy.
Add in the erythritol and beat again for another minute.
Beat in the remaining ingredients until well combined and a dough forms.
Pour the the batter evenly into the 12 doughnut wells.
Bake for 15 minutes.
Allow the doughnuts to cool slightly before carefully removing them (using a knife helps with the removal) and placing them on a wire rack to completely cool.
For the Chocolate Glaze Layer
In a microwave safe bowl, microwave the chocolate chips and coconut oil together in 30-second intervals stirring between each one until melted.
Use a spoon to carefully spread the melted chocolate over the tops of the baked doughnuts. (Reserve 1 tablespoon of the melted chocolate to use as a drizzle later.)
While the chocolate glaze is cooling, move onto the caramel layer.
For the Caramel Sauce Layer
In a small saucepan, heat the heavy cream and butter until bubbling.
Add in the Sukrin Gold and allow the mixture to simmer (just bubbling but not boiling) for 15 minutes to thicken.
Add the egg yolks to a small bowl. Temper the egg yolks by adding a spoonful of the warm heavy cream mixture into the yolks and whisking immediately to combine. Repeat this process 4 more times until the yolks are tempered.
Once the eggs are tempered, pour the entire yolk mixture into the saucepan with the heavy cream mixture and whisk vigorously until fully combined.
Stir in the xanthan gum and vanilla extract.
Next, stir in shredded coconut.
Remove the sauce from heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
Use a spoon to spread the caramel over the cooled chocolate-covered doughnuts.
For the Chocolate Drizzle
After the caramel layer has been added to the doughnuts, put the reserved tablespoon of chocolate into the microwave for 15-30 seconds to melt.
Use a spoon to drizzle the melted chocolate over the tops of the doughnuts in zig zag layers.
Sprinkle with coarse salt (optional).
Allow to cool before eating.
- Grease your doughnut tins. Don't forget to grease the tins with some coconut oil or nonstick spray before adding in the doughnut batter. This recipe makes 12 doughnuts so use a 12-cavity tin or two 6-cavity tins.
- Cool between layers. Allow each component to cool before building your doughnut to prevent the toppings from slipping off and becoming messy.
- Temper your eggs. Make sure to not skip this step. We don't want scrambled eggs in your caramel sauce.
- Storage. If you do have any leftovers, store them in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 7 days. But we doubt they will last that long!
Calories: 346kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 154mg | Sodium: 347mg | Potassium: 62mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 741IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 130mg | Iron: 1mg