Packed with Italian meats, cheeses, and spices, these Keto Calzones are a guilt-free treat for anyone who gets to try them! Not to mention, these calzones are keto, low-carb, grain-free, gluten-free.
Servings: 3 Servings
For the Calzone Crust
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
For the Filling
- 1/2 cup ricotta
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup Italian sausage cooked and crumbled
For the Topping
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
Heat your oven to 375°F.
Add 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella and 2 ounces cream cheese to a microwave-safe bowl.
Melt the cheeses in the microwave for a total of 90 seconds in 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval.
To the same bowl, add 1 egg, the almond flour, and the baking powder.
Knead all the ingredients together with your hands until fully incorporated then create a large dough ball.
Divide the dough ball into 3 equal parts.
Roll out each of the 3 dough parts into individual 8-inch circles in between two layers of parchment paper.
Remove the top layer of parchment paper and carefully transfer the bottom layer of parchment paper with the 3 dough circles on it to a baking sheet.
Mix your fillings (the cheeses & cooked Italian sausage) together in a medium bowl.
Put 1/3 of the filling on one half of each dough circle.
Fold the other half of the dough over and seal the edges with a fork.
Beat the remaining egg with a fork lightly and brush the egg over the top of each calzone.
Using a knife, make 3-4 slits in the top of each calzone about an inch apart.
Sprinkle the calzones with dried oregano and coarse salt.
Bake for 20-26 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
- Make sure to both knead and roll out your dough. Don't skip these steps.
- Don't over-stuff. Be careful not to pack your calzone to the brim.
- Pre-cook your vegetables. If you are stuffing your calzone with veggies, sauté them in a skillet until they are softened slightly.
- Avoid hidden sugars. If using pizza sauce, make sure it is sugar-free and don't add too much or the crust will get too soggy. We like to keep our sauce on the side and then dip the calzone into it!
Calories: 891kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 47g | Fat: 74g | Saturated Fat: 30g | Cholesterol: 284mg | Sodium: 2144mg | Potassium: 380mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1226IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 714mg | Iron: 3mg