Keto Cheese Bread - Focaccio di Recco
This keto cheese bread - Focaccio di Recco - is a hot, crispy, gooey, and a seriously indulgent treat. You'll feel like you are cheating, but you aren't! It's a keto, low-carb, grain-free, gluten-free appetizer made to share.
Servings: 6 Servings
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast mixed in 4 teaspoons warm water
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil plus extra for brushing
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup fresh mozzarella balls drained
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- course salt optional
Heat your oven to 500°F and a grease a cast iron skillet with extra-virgin olive oil.
In a small bowl, mix together the yeast and warm water. Set aside.
In a mixing bowl, add all the remaining ingredients together (except the mozzarella and feta), then mix in the yeast mixture and stir to combine until a dough forms.
Roll out the dough between two layers of parchment paper in a very thin 20 x 10 inch oval shape.
Place the mozzarella balls and crumbled feta on just one half of the dough.
Take the other half of the dough and fold it over the cheese to form a half circle. Then seal the edges by folding them down neatly.
Carefully transfer the cheese-stuffed dough to the greased skillet.
Brush olive oil on top of the dough, sprinkle with coarse salt and cut a few slits in the top with a knife.
Bake at 500°F for about 16 minutes or until browned.
Eat alone or serve with marinara sauce (just make sure it has no added sugar – we like Rao's brand!)
- Chose your cheeses. We used a combination of fresh mozzarella balls and crumbled feta cheese for this keto cheese bread. You can substitute mozzarella for any good melty cheese (cheddar, gruyere, gouda, havarti). If you don't have feta cheese, you can substitute goat cheese crumbles or even ricotta cheese. Both are pretty similar in taste and texture.
- Make the dough very thin. Roll the dough out as thin as you can. It needs to be nice and thin for the texture to come out right and make the crispiest bread.
- Grease your skillet. Be sure to grease your skillet with olive oil before adding the dough so that it is easy to remove once baked. We recommend using a cast iron skillet, but you can use any oven-safe skillet or a circular cake pan.
- Bake at high heat. Crank up you oven to 500°F and make sure it reaches that temperature before putting your cheese bread in. You want the flatbread to bake evenly.
- Don't worry if the dough tears. This keto cheese bread is meant to look rustic, so it doesn't need to look perfect. It will still taste amazing!
Calories: 235kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 18mg | Sodium: 430mg | Potassium: 53mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 116IU | Calcium: 148mg | Iron: 1mg