On the keto diet, you can absolutely enjoy an occasional alcohol-based drink as long as you choose low-carb options. Let's go over everything you need to know about how alcohol impacts ketosis.
Ketosis and Alcohol Metabolism
On a keto diet you can absolutely enjoy an occasional alcohol-based drink as long as you do it the right way!! Let’s break down everything that you need to know about alcohol and keto!
Your liver is crucial for ketosis and alcoholic metabolism. When you are in ketosis, your liver produces ketones from your stored fat. When you drink alcohol, your liver defaults to processing that alcohol, putting ketones (and ketosis) on the back burner. That means your fat burning is slowed/stalled until all the alcohol has been digested.
Is this a bad thing? Not necessarily - if you're having a keto-friendly drink every once in a while, your body will still be in ketosis. But if you're drinking on a regular basis, it could slow down your ketone (fat-burning) production, which means weight loss could stall. So only drink in moderation.
Tips for Drinking on Keto
- Choose low-carb alcohols. Most beers contain gluten, which can be inflammatory and is high in carbs, so opt for wine or liquor.
- Mix it right. You don't have to have to drink liquor straight, but avoid the sugary concoctions that will throw your body out of ketosis.
- Avoid tonic water. It's full of sugar.
- Mixed and pre-made frozen drinks will most likely contain sugar.
- Avoid fruit juices like pineapple, apple, and orange juice.
- Stick with fresh lemon and lime wedges that you can squeeze and mix in yourself.
- Hydrate. Drink water before and after consuming alcohol - 8 ounces of water for every ounce of alcohol! Drinking water before bed will also help reduce the morning-after hangover.
If you're ever unsure of what to drink, check out our CKL Happy Hour Guide below!.
Keto Cocktail Ideas
One of the best ways to cross off all of our CKL Happy Hour Tips is to use Ultima Replenisher powder to make your cocktails!!
Ultima Replenisher is made with all 6 balanced electrolytes plus support minerals to replace your electrolytes and hydrate the healthy way! I love Ultima because is is made of real fruit flavors, plant-based colors, and sweetened naturally with organic stevia leaf extract with no sugar or carbs!
We crafted these Keto Hydration Cocktails with the different flavors that Ultima has to offer!!
Cheers!! And remember to drink responsibly!!!
Other Keto Guides and Resources
- Debunking Common Keto Myths
- Intermittent Fasting Explained
- The Importance of Food Quality
- Why You Lose Weight on Keto
Check Out This Recipe You Can Enjoy on Keto
Make Sure To Save This Post or Share It!