These Keto Red Velvet Whoopie Pies are the perfect dessert! They're sweet and creamy, plus absolutely delicious! These handheld desserts are also keto, low-carb, paleo, grain-free, dairy free, and gluten-free!
Keto Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
These Keto Red Velvet Whoopie Pies are your new favorite Valentine's Day treat!
Super soft cake layers surround a slightly sweet and tangy cream cheese frosting layer = heaven.
Featured Recipe Video
Check out our newest recipe video for Keto Zucchini Bread Whoopie Pies. The process is very similar to these Red Velvet Keto Whoopie Pies, but we omitted zucchini for this recipe.
A Romantic Treat
You will want to serve these whoopie pies over and over again.
They're vibrant and perfect for Valentine's Day, but you can make them year-round – for kids, dinner parties, and brunch menus!
What's in Keto Whoopie Pies?
To make our keto red velvet whoopie pies, we used the following ingredients.
- Sour cream
- Cream cheese
How to Make Keto Whoopie Pies
This recipe is split into two parts: the “cake” layers and the cream cheese layers.
Let's go over a step-by-step tutorial on how to make these Valentine's Day treats!
Start with the Whoopie Pie Batter
First, beat the butter and sweetener until fluffy.
Then, mix the dry ingredients together and add to the wet mixture before adding the rest of the wet ingredients including red food coloring.
Make sure your batter is a bright red. The cake layers will turn take on a slightly more brown appearance after they've baked.
How to Make Whoopie Pie “Cakes”
Coat your hands with oil and roll 1 tablespoons of batter in your hands to create a ball.
Then flatten the balls into roughly 2″ discs.
The oil will help to keep the batter from sticking to your hands and it will also create a nice and smooth appearance to your cake layers.
The recipe makes 12 whoopie pies, which means you need 24 red velvet cookies.
Twelve cookies fit on a baking sheet, so if you don't have two baking sheets, you can make the cookies in two batches.
The cookies only take a few minutes to bake, so it won't add much extra time.
Add the cookies to the oven and bake at 350°F for 6-10 minutes or until they are cooked fully.
Make the Cream Cheese Icing
While the cookies are baking, make your filling.
All you need to do is add the ingredients to a mixing bowl and use an electric mixer to combine.
Using an electric mixer will get the filling really light and well-whipped.
This filling has a similar taste and texture to frosting, so save this recipe and reuse it on top of keto cupcakes next time.
How to Frost Keto Whoopie Pies
Using a piping bag to pipe your cream cheese frosting on will give you perfect and consistent-looking whoopie pies.
If you don't have a piping bag, pour your cream cheese frosting into a Ziploc bag and snip off the corner.
Then squeeze the frosting onto the center of the cookies.
Top the frosting with another cookie and you have yourself a finished whoopie pie!
Make Sure To Let Your Pies Cool Before Adding Frosting
If you add the frosting while the whoopie pies are still warm, it will melt and get runny.
But if you want the frosting to stay thick and white, then wait until the whoopie pies are completely cool first.
It's hard, we know!!
Looking for More Keto Dessert Recipes?
It's ok to enjoy a keto treat every once in a while. Here are some incredible keto dessert recipes you can enjoy while staying on track:
- Keto Triple Chocolate Doughnuts
- Keto Zucchini Bread Whoopie Pies
- Keto Raspberry Cheesecake Almond Bars
Like what you see? Follow us on Instagram and Facebook! Love this recipe? Hit the Pin button below and share it with your friends! Make sure you don’t miss new recipes by subscribing to our mailing list below!
For the Cake Layers
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup confectioner erythritol
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- red food coloring
For the Cream Cheese Layer
For the Cake Layers
- Heat your oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter until fluffy, then add in the sweetener and beat again.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla and beat for 3 more minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the almond flour, coconut flour, cocoa powder, xanthan gum, salt, and baking soda.
- Add the dry mixture into the wet mixture and beat until just combined, then add in the sour cream, almond milk, and red food coloring.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of the batter onto the lined baking sheets, fitting roughly 12 on each sheet.
- Use oiled hands to roll each scoop of batter into a ball, then flatten each into 2-inch discs.
- Bake for about 6-10 minutes.
For the Cream Cheese Layer
- In a medium bowl, beat together butter and cream cheese until fluffy.
- Add in vanilla and sweetener and beat until combined.
- Transfer the icing to a piping bag and pipe 1 tablespoon of icing onto the bottom layer of cake.
- Top with another cake layer and gently press down to spread the icing to the outside edges of the whoopie pie.
We Can't Wait To See You Try It!
We love seeing our recipes come to life!! We can’t wait to see how you make these and loving seeing each person's unique spin on it! Tag us on Instagram @cleanketolifestyle or use the hashtag #CKLrecipe!