Who said doughnuts can't be keto?! Say hello to our Keto Triple Chocolate Doughnuts! Three layers of chocolate goodness make these irresistible. These doughnuts are keto, low-carb, grain-free, and gluten-free!
Keto Triple Chocolate Doughnuts
Have you ever baked something so delicious that it instantly became your favorite thing ever?
These Keto Triple Chocolate Doughnuts are going to be a breakfast treat you'll want to keep all to yourself.
These doughnuts are decadent. They have a chocolate batter. Chocolate icing. And a chocolate cookie crumble.
Plus, they are cake doughnuts, which makes them quick and easy to make.
Is Chocolate Keto-Friendly?
The answer is – “It can be!”
Chocolate is made from cocoa powder, which is a nutritional powerhouse full of fiber and minerals such as iron, manganese, magnesium, and zinc.
Unsweetened cocoa powder is keto-friendly because it doesn't have any added sugar.
The trouble comes when sugar is added to the cocoa powder to make the chocolate. Most of the chocolate (both bars and chips) found in stores are full of sugar making it too carb heavy to be keto.
That is why we like to make our own chocolate or use chocolate sweetened with monk fruit, erythritol, or stevia instead of sugar.
Featured Recipe Video
Check out this video to see how to make our most popular recipe – Keto Zucchini Bread Whoopie Pies.
They are easy to make and so delicious!
Where Do I Find Keto-Friendly Chocolate?
Luckily with the gaining popularity of the keto diet, low-carb chocolate brands do exist!
Some of our favorites are:
- Lily's Brand – Is sweetened with stevia and erythritol and doesn't contain any added sugars or artificial sweeteners. There can sometimes be a bad aftertaste with stevia, but you can't taste it at all with this brand.
- Choczero – Is sweetened with monk fruit and doesn't contain any added sugars, sugar alcohols, or artificial sweeteners. This is a great option if you don't tolerate stevia or erythritol well.
- Macalat – Is sweetened with a combination of erythritol and monk fruit. It is made from all organic ingredients and also includes a touch or vanilla and cinnamon.
Be careful with the types of chocolate you buy and always look at the labels for the ingredients and added sugar amount.
How Many Keto Doughnuts Can You Have For Breakfast?
The question you are now probably thinking is, how many can I eat for breakfast?
Even though these doughnuts are low-carb, that doesn't mean you can just eat an entire dozen of them in one sitting.
There are about 6 net carbs in each doughnut.
You'll have to monitor your own macros. But these are a much better option than traditional doughnuts by far.
Just don't overdue it.
How to Make Keto Triple Chocolate Doughnuts
These will become one of your favorite things to enjoy with your morning coffee, or serve at a weekend brunch.
Before you start baking, let's go over the items you need for this recipe.
Main Ingredients in Keto Doughnuts:
Aside form the normal baking ingredients that are likely in your kitchen already (like baking soda, baking powder, butter, coconut oil, salt, apple cider vinegar, and eggs), you'll need these items from the store:
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Almond flour
- Almond milk
- Xanthan gum
- Espresso powder or Instant coffee
- Keto-friendly chocolate chips
- Granular erythritol
- Keto brown sugar substitute
What Equipment You Need:
Let's Get Cooking
First, we will make the doughnut batter.
You will want to mix your dry ingredients in one bowl and your wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
Slowly, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until thoroughly combined.
Your dough should look like the picture below.
Transfer the batter to a greased doughnut tin.
This recipe yields 12 doughnuts. So either use a 12-cavity doughnut tin or two 6-cavity doughnut tins.
Remove the doughnuts from the oven and allow them to cool for 1 minute before gently turning them onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
Tip: Use a knife or spatula to gently loosen the doughnuts from the tin if you are having trouble getting them out.
Keto Chocolate Frosting Time
As if these doughnuts weren't already heavenly, we are now going to top them with chocolate frosting.
What's in keto frosting?
There are just two ingredients:
Yup, that's it! Simply melt the chocolate chips in the coconut oil and then spread all over the doughnuts.
Add the Keto Cookie Crumble Topping
Lastly, make these doughnuts have a three-dimensional taste with some cookie crumble toppings.
Doesn't that look drool-worthy?
To make the cookie crumble topping, mix together these ingredients:
Best Keto-Friendly Brown Sugar Substitute
We used a keto-friendly brown sugar substitute in this recipe to give a deeper, golden flavor.
You have a few options that can work as a brown sugar substitute for keto baking. We used Sukrin Gold. It has a really nice texture, bakes well, and adds the perfect level of sweetness.
You can also use these options:
If you don't have a keto-friendly brown sugar substitute, you can just substitute it out for granular erythritol.
Can You Freeze Keto Chocolate Doughnuts?
If you have time, make a few batches of these donuts. Yes, you can freeze them and save them for later.
We recommend freezing them without the frosting and cookie crumble topping. Add them later since the frosting and topping only take a few minutes to make.
To freeze the doughnuts, just follow these simple steps:
- Let them cool completely.
- Lay them in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Put the tray in the freezer.
- After they are completely frozen, take the baking sheet out.
- Put the frozen doughnuts into a sealed container and store in the fridge.
If you want to skip the baking sheet step, just wrap the doughnuts individually in plastic wrap. This way, they won't stick together in the sealed container.
To reheat, let them thaw at room temperature and then bake them for 5 minutes at 350°F.
More Keto Chocolate Recipes
Looking for more chocolate keto recipes? Check out these favorites:
- Keto Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Keto Apricot And Pistachio Dark Chocolate Bark
- Keto Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Keto Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet
Like what you see? Follow us on Instagram and Facebook! Love this recipe? Hit the Pin button below and share it with your friends! Make sure you don’t miss new recipes by subscribing to our mailing list below!
For the Doughnuts:
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1 1/4 cups keto brown sugar substitute (such as Sukrin Gold)
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder or instant coffee
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup keto-friendly chocolate chips (we used Lily's brand)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, plus more to grease your doughnut tins
For the Icing:
For the Cookie Crumble:
For the Doughnuts:
- Heat your oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, almond flour, brown sugar substitute, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and apple cider vinegar.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, along with the melted butter and coconut oil. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Lightly grease your doughnut tin with some coconut oil.
- Spoon the batter into your doughnut tin, filling them about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove the doughnuts from the oven and allow them to cool for 1 minute before gently turning them onto a wire rack to finish cooling. Tip: Use a knife or spatula to gently loosen the doughnuts from the tin if you are having trouble getting them out.
For the Icing:
- In small bowl, add the chocolate chips and oil.
- Microwave for 30 seconds, remove and stir.
- Microwave again for 20 seconds and keep repeating until the chocolate chips are just about all the way melted.
- Dip each baked and cooled doughnut into the icing and return the doughnuts to the wire rack.
For the Cookie Crumble:
We Can't Wait To See You Try It!
We love seeing our recipes come to life!! We can’t wait to see how you make these and loving seeing each person's unique spin on it! Tag us on Instagram @cleanketolifestyle or use the hashtag #CKLrecipe!