Keto Shepherd's Pie is comfort food at its best! Our version features a hearty beef and vegetable layer, topped with creamy cauliflower mash. It is satisfying, delicious, and couldn't be easier to make. This dish is also keto, low-carb, grain-free, and gluten-free!
Keto Shepherd's Pie
Keto Shepherd's Pie is so comforting on a cold winter's day.
If you never had it before, it is a savory casserole filled with meat and vegetables that is incredibly warming and satisfying.
With a few keto swaps that we made in this recipe - you can now enjoy creamy, flavorful shepherd's pie even on keto!
Is Shepherd's Pie Keto?
Traditional Shepherd's Pie features a top layer of mashed potatoes.
While potatoes are a vegetable - they have a large amount of carbs. One medium potato has approximately 32 net carbs!
Our Keto Shepherd's Pie recipe uses cauliflower in place of potatoes to upgrade this comfort food and at the same time lower the carb count!
Oh and then we drizzle warm brown butter over the finished product to take this dish to the next level!
What's In Keto Shepherd's Pie
To make this comfort dish, we used the following keto ingredients:
- Ground beef/lamb
- Cream Cheese
- Fresh thyme
- Frozen Peas and Carrots
How to Make Keto Shepherd's Pie
This recipe has two parts: a mashed cauliflower layer and a meat layer.
You will first make the cauliflower layer. This layer features roasted garlic.
It brings such a dimension of flavor to the mashed cauliflower. If you don't have time or don't like garlic, you can skip this step.
Next, we will make the meat layer that features both ground beef and ground lamb. Once again, if you aren't a huge fan of lamb, you can substitute it for ground beef.
How to Make the Mashed Cauliflower Layer
For the mashed cauliflower layer, start by roasting the garlic in the oven. It will take about 45 minutes to roast so start this process ahead of time.
Once the roasted garlic is out of the oven and cooling, start with the cauliflower.
For the cauliflower, chop the heads into florets and place them in a steamer basket for about 10-15 minutes or until easily pierced with a knife.
Carefully transfer the cauliflower to a food processor or blender. Squeeze the roasted garlic into a food processor.
Then put the remaining ingredients in a food processor and pulse until smooth.
Set aside and move onto the meat layer.
How to Make the Meat Layer
For the meat layer, saute the chopped onion in a skillet over medium heat until softened.
Then, add in the lamb and beef. Cook the meat for 5-7 minutes. We like to use a wooden spoon to break up the meat as it cooks.
When the meat is almost done cooking, add the rest of the meat layer ingredients and mix until combined and cooked thoroughly.
To Assemble Keto Shepherd's Pie
To put together your keto shepherd's pie, pour the meat layer into a casserole dish, then top with the mashed cauliflower layer.
Bake at 425°F.on the top oven rack for 10-15 minutes until the top starts to brown and the layers are heated through.
While the Shepard's Pie is baking, make your brown butter by heating the butter and thyme in small saucepan on low-medium heat for about 8-10 minutes or until the butter has a nutty aroma and has turned light brown.
Drizzle your brown butter on top of the finished pie and garnish with fresh parsley.
What to Serve with Keto Shepherd's Pie
This is a recipe the entire family will love. They won't even know it is Keto!
Serve it with some of our favorite side dishes for an unforgettable meal.
Keto Shepherd's Pie
For the Mashed Cauliflower Layer
For the Mashed Cauliflower Layer
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Slice off the top of the garlic bulb and drizzle avocado oil over the exposed cloves.
- Wrap the garlic head in aluminum foil.
- Place the garlic in the oven and roast for 40 to 45 minutes or until soft. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- As the garlic cools, fill a large pot with one inch of water, insert a steamer basket and place the cauliflower florets in the steamer basket. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Steam for 10-15 minutes or until tender. The cauliflower is done when it is easily pierced with a knife.
- Transfer the steamed cauliflower to a food processor or blender and squeeze in the individual cloves of roasted garlic.
- Add all remaining ingredients and process the cauliflower mixture a few minutes until smooth.
For the Meat Layer
- Preheat your oven to 425°F.
- Heat the avocado oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add in the onions and sauté, stirring constantly until they softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the lamb and beef to the skillet and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer the meat mixture to a casserole dish in an even layer.
- Top with the mashed cauliflower. Use a spatula to spread out the mashed cauliflower evenly in one layer.
- Bake on the top oven rack for 10-15 minutes, until heated through and the top starts to brown.
- While the Shepard's Pie is baking, make your brown butter by heating the butter and thyme in small saucepan on low-medium heat for about 8-10 minutes or until the butter has a nutty aroma and has turned light brown.
- Drizzle the brown butter on top of the finished Shepard's pie.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.
We Can't Wait To See You Try It!
We love seeing our recipes come to life!! We can’t wait to see how you make these and loving seeing each person's unique spin on it! Tag us on Instagram @cleanketolifestyle or use the hashtag #CKLrecipe!