Dare we say that this is the best Keto Chocolate Cake ever?! This cake is moist, decadent, and three layers of chocolate heaven! And the best part is that it is keto, low-carb, grain-free, and gluten-free!
The Best Keto Chocolate Ever
We have been working on figuring out the best keto chocolate cake recipe for years. And we have done it!!
Look no further! We now have THE recipe. This cake is moist, decadent, and totally keto! Plus, it is so easy to make and insanely delicious.
In honor of Halloween, we have decorated this cake to resemble a raven’s nest. But this cake is great year-round for any occasion!
It is 3 layers of chocolate heaven!
Making a Layer Cake
This delicious and moist cake is made of 3 layers.
The key to making a layer cake is to bake multiple cakes at one time and then stack them on top of each other.
The best way to do this is to bake that all at the same time, so you will need 3 of the same exact size cake pans.
For this recipes, we used 9-inch cake pans.
Featured Recipe Video
Check out this video to see how to make our most popular recipe – Keto Zucchini Bread Whoopie Pies.
They are easy to make and so delicious!
Keto Chocolate Cake Ingredients
For this cake, the ingredients are keto kitchen staples, so you should have most of these on hand.
The only non-common ingredients would be xanthan gum. You can find this online or in the baking aisle of the grocery store.
- Almond flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Cacao powder/cocoa powder
- Coconut oil
- Confectioner erythritol
- Granular erythritol
- Instant coffee
- Vanilla extract
- Xanthan gum
What Else Can You Make with Keto Kitchen Staples
We use these ingredients all the time when we are baking our Keto Desserts, so buy them once and use them in a variety of recipes! Here are our favorites:
What Equipment You Need
Aside from the three separate 9-inch cake pans, there are just few items that you need:
- Mixing bowls
- Electric hand mixer or stand mixer
- Cake pans (3 of them all 9-inches wide)
- Parchment paper
To Decorate (optional):
- A pre-made birch wreath (cleaned and loose twigs removed) or 3 separate plastic birch branches (4 feet in length)
- A fake raven
- Flowers, spiders, or bugs
- Black cake stand
Make the Keto Chocolate Cake in Stages
To efficiently bake the cake, we are breaking it down into 3 steps.
- Bake the cake layers
- Prepare the chocolate frosting
- Assemble and decorate
Let’s breakdown each step in detail. We have included step-by-step pictures as well so you can easily follow along!
You will be slicing into this incredible cake in no time!!! Serve this cake at parties, holiday gatherings, or for a fun weekend dinner.
Also, this is a great cake to have your kids help make and decorate!
Start on Your Cake Layers
Spray the parchment and sides of the tins with cooking spray and set aside.
Ensure the cakes don't stick and that they come out of the tins cleanly.
Make the Keto Chocolate Cake Batter
In another large bowl, mix together the eggs, oil, vanilla, water, and sour cream.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and beat for 2-3 minutes with an electric mixer.
Evenly divide the batter among all three lined cake pans.
Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until the edges start to brown and the centers are set.
While the cakes are cooking, start making your frosting.
To Make the Chocolate Frosting
Wash off your electric mixer beaters and one of the large bowls you just used.
Then slowly add in the heavy cream, beating the frosting as your pour it in.
The finished product should look like the picture below.
Keep your frosting at room temperature after making.
If your frosting is too cold, it will be difficult to spread on your cake and your cake may crumble and break.
Get Your Cake Stand Ready
After 25 minutes of baking time, take the cakes out of the oven and let them cool for 10 minutes.
While the cakes are cooling, use scissors to cut out medium sized triangles of parchment paper.
Place them on your cake stand so that they resemble pie wedges.
This will ensure your cake stand stays clean and doesn't become a mess during the icing process.
Layer the Keto Chocolate Cakes
Carefully invert one of your cake layers and place it on top of your parchment-lined cake stand.
Spoon about 1 cup of frosting on the top of the cake layer and carefully smooth it on.
Carefully flip your second cake layer upside down to remove it from the tin and place it on top of the first layer.
Take another cup of icing and smooth it over the top of the second layer.
Remove the third cake layer from it's tin and place it on top.
Make sure your layers are placed evenly on top one another so that your cake doesn't look lopsided.
Take the remaining icing and cover the top and sides. Using an off-set spatula helps with this.
If you notice your frosting is difficult to spread, warm it slightly in the microwave.
Remove the parchment triangles from under the cake and discard.
Decorate the Cake for Halloween (Optional)
Create a raven’s nest by forming a wreath with fake branches.
Use twine to secure the branches together. Place your nest on top of the cake and perch your raven.
Or you can buy a pre-made birch branch wreath and use that for the nest.
If you don't want your nest to touch your cake, insert 3-4 food-safe wooden dowels into your cake to prop up the nest.
Perch a raven on top of the nest. Decorate with spiders, bugs, and a few fall flowers.
More Keto Halloween Recipes
Looking for more chocolate keto recipes? Check out these favorites:
- Halloween Keto Cauliflower “Brain” With Sweet And Spicy Curry Sauce
- Keto Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
- Fire And Brimstone Halloween Keto Soft Pretzels
- Halloween “Spider” Keto Deviled Eggs
- Halloween Keto Bacon Wrapped Scallops
Like what you see? Follow us on Instagram and Facebook! Love this recipe? Hit the Pin button below and share it with your friends! Make sure you don’t miss new recipes by subscribing to our mailing list below!
For the Cake
- 3 cups almond flour
- 3 cups granular erythritol
- 1 1/2 cups cacao/cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sour cream
For the Frosting
For the Cake
- Heat your oven to 350°F.
- Using a pair of scissors and a ruler, cut out three circles of parchment paper that are 9-inches wide to line the bottom of your three cake pans.
- Spray the parchment and sides of the tins with avocado oil cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, granular erythritol, cocoa powder, xanthan gum, salt, instant coffee, baking soda, and baking powder.
- In another large bowl, mix together the eggs, oil, vanilla, water, and sour cream.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and beat for 2-3 minutes with an electric mixer.
- Evenly divide the batter amongst the three cake pans.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the edges start to brown and the centers are set.
- While the cakes are cooking, start making your frosting.
For the Frosting
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together butter, cream cheese, cocoa powder, salt, and confectioner erythritol.
- Slowly add in your heavy cream, beating the frosting as your pour it in until it is fully combined.
- Keep the frosting at room temperature while the cakes bake.
- Let the cakes cool for 10 minutes once they come out of the oven.
- Use a scissors to cut out 6-8 medium sized triangles of parchment paper. Place them on your cake stand or plate so that they resemble pie wedges.
- Carefully invert one of your cake layers and place it on top of your parchment lined cake stand.
- Spoon about 1 cup of frosting on top of the cake layer and slowly smooth it on.
- Carefully flip your second cake layer upside down to remove it from the tin and place it on top of the first layer.
- Take another 1 cup of icing and smooth it over the top of the second layer.
- Carefully remove the third cake layer from it's tin and place it on top of the second layer.
- Take the remaining icing and cover the top and sides completely. (Using an off-set spatula helps with this.)
- Slowly and carefully, remove the parchment paper triangles from under the cake and discard.
- Place your nest on top of the cake and perch your raven.
- Decorate with flowers, spiders, or bugs.
We Can't Wait To See You Try It!
We love seeing our recipes come to life!! We can’t wait to see how you make these and loving seeing each person's unique spin on it! Tag us on Instagram @cleanketolifestyle or use the hashtag #CKLrecipe!