Sink your teeth into these savory and chewy Keto Bagels. The texture feels just like the carb-filled ones, you won't be able to tell the difference. These bagels are keto, low-carb, grain-free, and gluten-free!
Say Hello to Keto Bagels!
When we perfected this recipe, we were thrilled with the results! Bagels are a breakfast or lunch staple, and it feels amazing to be able to enjoy them on the keto diet.
The texture was the most important thing for us to get just right. We wanted the perfect balance of chewy and dense, just like the ones made with flour that we grew up loving.
And we did it! These couldn't have turned out any more perfect!
Here is what you need from the store. If you have made our other low-carb treats, you probably have most of these ingredients already in your pantry.
- Shredded Mozzarella
- Cream Cheese
- Almond Flour
- Flaxseed Meal
- Psyllium Husk Powder
- Baking Powder
- Active Dry Yeast
This recipe makes 6 bagels. So if you think you'll be sharing them, you might want to double the recipe.
Featured Recipe Video
Check out this video to see how to make our most popular recipe – Keto Zucchini Bread Whoopie Pies.
They are easy to make and so delicious!
What Equipment You Need
We love our classic KitchenAid Mixer, which has been a registry staple for years. So you may already own one, but don't use it that often.
If you have one sitting in your kitchen, it's time to pull it out and make some delicious keto bagels!
If you don't own one yet, we recommend buying one. They really do make baking keto-friendly items a cinch. And the clean up couldn't be easier. This KitchenAid one is our favorite because of the price and the fact that it comes with all the attachments!
Trust us, there are plenty of uses for a stand mixer that make it well worth your money.
Other equipment that you need:
Homemade Everything Seasoning
One of the best things about these bagels is the homemade Everything Seasoning.
It's perfectly salty, flavorful, and savory. Make a really large jar of it and use it on chicken, in a salad dressing, or as a topping on a low-carb sandwich.
Here are the ingredients you need:
Time to Get Cooking
The dough base for these keto bagels uses a combination of melted mozzarella cheese and cream cheese.
In a microwave safe bowl, just microwave the mozzarella and cream cheese until the cheeses are completely melted and there are no visible shreds.
If you notice any tiny shreds that aren't melted, keep melting it.
Create the Keto Bagel Dough
Slowly, beat in the melted cheese mixture. Beat until the dough is completely combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
Form Your Bagel Circles
Divide the dough into 6 equal sections.
Form each section into a ball with your hands, then flatten them into a disc shape that is roughly 4″ in diameter and 1.25″ high.
Place each bagel on the lined baking sheet.
Punch Holes in the Middle of the Bagels
To get the perfect bagel look and feel, you need to punch out a hole in the middle.
Get creative and use anything you can find that has a circular shape. We used the top of our sugar-free syrup bottle.
Or you can use a 1.25″ circular cookie cutter if you have one to punch a hole into the center of the bagel.
When the dough is baking, the hole will be reduced in size as the bagel poofs, so make sure your bagel hole is larger than you think it should be.
Also, don't throw out the punched out bagel holes! Bake them along with the bagels and eat them as a little snack. They will taste divine with some keto cheese dip.
If you want your bagels to have that shiny and crispy crust on the outside, then eggs are your best bet.
Brush on a beaten egg to achieve the shiny coating on the outside. It also helps the Everything Seasoning to stick on to the bagel.
Sprinkle a generous amount of Everything Seasoning onto each bagel.
Bake for 15 minutes at 400°F or until bagels have turned golden brown.
How to Slice Homemade Bagels
Allow your bagels to cool before slicing.
Always use a serrated knife when you are slicing bread. It makes a more even cut.
Store your bagels in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a week (if they last that long).
Can You Toast Keto Bagels?
Yes, feel free to toast them if you toaster has a big enough opening.
Or you can re-heat them in an air fryer or under the broiler in your oven.
Heating them up will get them crispy on the edges!
Keto Sandwiches with Low-Carb Bagels
You can eat these for breakfast or brunch. What's really fun is making up your own sandwich ideas with them.
Here are just a few to get you started:
- Classic Turkey Sandwich with all the fixin's
- Ham, Egg, and Avocado Breakfast Sandwich
- Tuna Melt with melted cheese
- Mini Pizzas (use the filling from our Keto Calzones on top of the bagel slices)
- Traditional BLT
We opted for a Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese bagel!
We layered cream cheese, with sliced tomato, red onions, capers, and smoked salmon.
More Keto Recipes
Looking for more keto recipes? Check out these favorites:
- Keto Zucchini Bread Whoopie Pies
- Keto Raspberry Cheesecake Almond Bars
- Keto Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Keto Cinnamon Rolls With Brown Butter Icing
- Keto Triple Chocolate Doughnuts
Like what you see? Follow us on Instagram and Facebook! Love this recipe? Hit the Pin button below and share it with your friends! Make sure you don’t miss new recipes by subscribing to our mailing list below!
For the Bagels
- 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 2 oz. cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoons psyllium husk powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast mixed in 2 tablespoons of warm water
- 4 eggs
For the Everything Seasoning
For the Bagels
- Heat your oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, melt the mozzarella and cream cheese in a microwave for 1 minute. Remove and stir, then microwave again for 40 seconds or until the cheeses are completely melted and no shreds are visible.
- In large bowl fit for a stand mixer with a hook attachment, mix together the almond flour, flaxseed meal, psyllium husk powder, baking powder, yeast mixture, and 3 eggs.
- Slowly, beat in the cheese mixture. Beat until the dough is completely combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal sections.
- Form each section into a ball with your hands, then flatten them into a disc shape that is roughly 4" in diameter and 1.25" high.
- Place each bagel on the lined baking sheet.
- Use a 1.25" circular cookie cutter (or anything you can find that is similar - we used the cap to our sugar-free syrup bottle) to punch a hole into the center of the bagel.
- Lightly beat 1 egg in a small bowl and brush it on to the tops and sides of each bagel.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of Everything Seasoning onto each bagel.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until bagels have turned golden brown.
- Allow them to cool before slicing.
For the Everything Seasoning
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.
We Can't Wait To See You Try It!
We love seeing our recipes come to life!! We can’t wait to see how you make these and loving seeing each person's unique spin on it! Tag us on Instagram @cleanketolifestyle or use the hashtag #CKLrecipe!