This Keto Dutch Baby with Blackberry Crumble is the perfect weekend brunch option. It is sweet, custardy, and absolutely delicious! This dutch baby is keto, low-carb, grain-free, and gluten-free.
Keto Dutch Baby with Blackberry Crumble
This Keto Dutch Baby with Blackberry Crumble is an absolute showstopper! It looks gorgeous, tastes amazing, and couldn't be easier to make.
If you have never had a dutch baby, it is basically a combo of a pancake, a crepe, and a popover — all in one.
A Dutch baby pancake is also, sometimes called a German pancake, a Bismarck, or a Dutch puff. No matter what you name you call it - the taste and flavor is out of this world.
Featured Recipe Video
Check out this video to see how to make our most popular recipe – Keto Zucchini Bread Whoopie Pies.
They are easy to make and so delicious!
How to Make a Keto Dutch Baby
The key to making the perfect dutch baby is all about pouring your batter in a very hot skillet. This technique enables the dutch baby to puff around the edges and rise like a pillow.
To make the batter, simply whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl. Next, put butter into a cast-iron skillet and put it in a hot oven set to 425°F.
When the butter is melted, use potholders to remove the skillet from the oven and immediately pour the batter in the skillet.
Place the skillet back in the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes or until the center is set.
One the dutch baby comes out of the oven, it will collapse back into the skillet because the steam holding it up will evaporate when it hits the cooler air.
And what results is a soft pancake with a texture of a crepe and flavor of a sweet popover.
Dutch Baby Toppings
Remove the dutch baby from the oven and top with some fresh blackberries and the crumble topping.
Turn the oven down to 350°F and put the cast iron skillet back in the oven to bake for an additional 3-5 minutes.
All About Blackberries
Fruit on the ketogenic diet can be tricky. Some people think you must eliminate fruit completely, while others (like us) believe that certain low-carb fruits can be included in moderation as part of a healthy keto diet. When looking at fruit, pay attention to the net carb count (total carbs less fiber).
Here are our CKL-approved fruits:
- Lemons and Limes: 4 grams net carbs/fruit
- Blackberries: 6 grams net carbs/cup
- Raspberries: 7 grams net carbs/cup
- Strawberries: 8 grams net carbs/cup
- Blueberries: 9 grams net carbs/half cup
As you can see, blackberries actually have the lowest net carb count of all the types of berries. In addition, blackberries are packed with essential nutrients and antioxidants.
They contain a high level of Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin A, as well as anthocyanins (which are antioxidants that fight against free radicals in the body).
How to Serve Your Keto Dutch Baby
We love to serve this straight from the skillet, so we carefully transfer the pan to the table and serve it right there.
Just cut the dutch baby into slices similar to how you would slice a pie. This dutch baby tastes fantastic as is, but you can also pour over some sugar-free syrup or sprinkle it with confectioner erythritol.
Feel free to double or triple this recipe and make a few dutch babies in the oven at once.
If you have any leftovers, store them in the fridge.
Keto Dutch Baby Tips
Before you start cooking, here are a few tips:
- A cast iron skillet makes the best dutch baby. If you don't have one, we recommend investing in a high quality one (like this cast iron skillet) as you will end up using it ALL THE TIME. They are also oven-safe which is a huge plus.
- If you don't have a cast iron skillet, you can use a pie pan.
- Don't forget to use a pot holder when transferring the cast iron skillet in and out of the oven!! We repeat - USE A POT HOLDER! Trust us, we have learned the hard way, so don't make the same mistake that we did.
- Don't have blackberries? Feel free to sub any other berry that you have.
What Equipment You Need
More Keto Breakfast Recipes
Looking for more keto breakfast recipes? Check out these favorites:
- Keto Bagels
- Keto French Toast
- Keto Cinnamon Rolls
- Keto Blueberry Lemon Muffins
- Keto Pumpkin Muffins With Cream Cheese
- Keto Triple Chocolate Doughnuts
- Keto Breakfast Cake
Keto Dutch Baby with Blackberry Crumble
- Heat your oven to 425°F.
- Put 4 tablespoons butter in a cast-iron skillet and put it in the oven.
- When the butter is melted, use potholders to remove the skillet from the oven.
- Pour the batter in the skillet and immediately put it back in the oven (use potholders!) and bake for 15-18 minutes or until the center is set.
- Remove the Dutch baby from the oven and top with the fresh blackberries and crumble topping.
- Turn the oven down to 350°F and then using pot holders to put the cast iron skillet back in the oven and then bake for an additional 3-5 minutes.
We Can't Wait To See You Try It!
We love seeing our recipes come to life!! We can’t wait to see how you make these and loving seeing each person's unique spin on it! Tag us on Instagram @cleanketolifestyle or use the hashtag #CKLrecipe!