These Keto Brie and Thyme Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Crisped Shallots are a showstopper side dish or appetizer! The thyme compliments the earthiness of the mushrooms and the buttery flavor of the brie cheese. These mushrooms are keto, low-carb, grain-free, and gluten-free!
Keto Portobello Mushrooms
These Keto Brie and Thyme Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms makes an impressive appetizer, side dish, and even dinner.
Is is also incredibly easy to prepare and would make an excellent main course for your vegetarian friends or family members at Thanksgiving, or any another holiday meal for that matter.
We love serving these with a red wine pairing for cocktail hour before Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.
All About Portobello Mushrooms
Portobello mushrooms are large mushrooms with caps that are approximately 3-4 inches in diameter.
You will usually find them pre-packaged in the produce section of the grocery store (near all the other mushrooms).
Portobello mushroom caps have a meaty quality that gives them a hearty taste and makes the perfect to stuff, fill, and top.
They also make a great keto burger bun!
Are Portobello Mushrooms Keto?
Yes! One portobello mushroom cap has only 3 net carbs (6 grams total carbs less 3 grams fiber).
Plus, they are perfect for clean keto because they are rich in vitamins and nutrients including thiamin, Vitamin B6, folate, magnesium, zinc and manganese.
Mushrooms also have protein in them. Each cap has 5 grams of protein in them.
How to Cook Keto Portobello Mushrooms
Portobello mushroom caps can be roasted or grilled.
Since they don't have much natural flavor, we also recommend coating them in a combination of oil and vinegar or marinating them before cooking. Don't marinate them for more than 15 minutes or they can get soggy and slimy.
For this recipe, we are roasting the mushroom caps in the oven, but on a warm night they’re great on a grill, too!
Ingredients in Keto Brie and Thyme Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
What's great about this recipe is that you only need a few items to make these!
What Equipment You Need
Let's get cooking!
Make The Crisped Shallots
In a small skillet over medium heat, add in 1 tablespoon of avocado oil.
Add the shallots and saute for a couple minutes, then turn the heat down to low and cook for 15 more minutes or until the shallots are crisped and caramelized.
Transfer the shallots to a plate and set aside.
PRO TIP: The shallots will continue to dry and crisp after they are removed from the skillet.
Prepare Your Keto Portobello Mushroom
Wipe the Portobello mushroom caps clean with a damp cloth. Then use a knife to remove the mushroom gills and stems.
Discard the gills and then chop just the stems into small pieces and saute them in a skillet.
In a small bowl, mix together the balsamic and remaining avocado oil.
Coat the mushroom caps on both sides with the balsamic mixture and place them cap-side down on the lined baking sheet.
Sprinkle fresh thyme leaves over the caps and bake the mushrooms for 10 minutes at 425°F.
Add Your Cheese to the Keto Portobello Mushrooms
After 10 minutes, remove from the oven and evenly top each mushroom with the brie cheese cubes.
Sprinkle on the sauteed chopped mushroom stems, the coarse salt, and the remaining thyme leaves.
Turn the oven down to 350°F and bake again for 5 minutes or until the brie is melted.
Keto Portobello Mushroom Finishing Touches
Remove the mushrooms from the oven and top with the crisped shallots.
Transfer to a plate or platter and serve immediately.
What to Serve With This Dish
This the perfect fall-inspired side dish for a Thanksgiving dinner – here are our top picks to make your Thanksgiving unforgettable!
First and foremost, a juicy flavorful Keto Turkey with Garlic and Herb Compound Butter!
- Keto Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Sweet Maple Horseradish Sauce
- Keto Green Bean Casserole
- Keto Garlic Butter Mushrooms
- Keto Harvest Salad
- Keto Pumpkin Spice Cake
- Keto Pumpkin Pie
- Keto Pumpkin Muffins with Cream Cheese
- Keto Zucchini Bread
- Keto Zucchini Bread Whoopie Pies
Have a fabulous Thanksgiving!!
Like what you see? Follow us on Instagram and Facebook! Love this recipe? Hit the Pin button below and share it with your friends! Make sure you don’t miss new recipes by subscribing to our mailing list below!
- Wipe the Portobello mushrooms clean with a damp cloth. Then use a knife to remove the mushroom gills and stems. Chop just the stems into small pieces and reserve them for use later.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, add in 1 tablespoon of avocado oil.
- Add the shallots and saute for a couple minutes, then turn the heat down to low and cook for 15 more minutes or until the shallots are crisped and caramelized.
- Transfer the shallots to a plate and set aside. (The shallots will continue to dry and crisp after they are removed from the skillet.)
- In the same skillet, add the mushroom stems to the same skillet and saute for 5 minutes or until softened and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix together the balsamic and remaining avocado oil.
- Coat the mushrooms on both sides with the balsamic mixture and place them on the lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle on 1 sprig of the fresh thyme leaves and bake the mushrooms for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove from the oven and evenly top each mushroom with the brie cheese cubes.
- Sprinkle on the reserved chopped mushroom stems, the coarse salt, and the remaining thyme leaves.
- Turn the oven down to 350°F and bake again for 5 minutes or until the brie is melted.
- Remove the mushrooms from the oven and top with the crisped shallots. Serve immediately.
We Can't Wait To See You Try It!
We love seeing our recipes come to life!! We can’t wait to see how you make these and loving seeing each person's unique spin on it! Tag us on Instagram @cleanketolifestyle or use the hashtag #CKLrecipe!