Keto Cauliflower Mash is so easy to make and pairs well with basically everything. It's the perfect side dish! We've added roasted garlic and fresh rosemary to make this side dish even more flavorful! This mashed cauliflower is keto, low-carb, grain-free, and gluten-free!
How to Replace Mashed Potatoes on Keto
Mashed potatoes are one of those classic comfort foods. Since so many of us associate whipped mashed potatoes with good memories, they can be even harder to give up on a low-carb diet.
Thankfully, we found a way to make a keto version of a favorite childhood recipe. Just use cauliflower instead of potatoes!
Read on and learn how to create a dish that tastes and feels just like mashed potatoes without all the carbs.
Keto Cauliflower Mash
There is a little bit more to it than just mashing up some boiled cauliflower.
If that's all you do, it won't have a very pleasant consistency. But if you follow our recipe and tips, you'll have a dish that is worthy of the main stage at the Thanksgiving table!
Featured Recipe Video
Check out this video to see how to make our most popular recipe – Keto Zucchini Bread Whoopie Pies.
They are easy to make and so delicious!
What's in Cauliflower Mash?
It's more than just boiled and pureed cauliflower. If you want something that is super creamy and fluffy, use this combination of ingredients.
- Garlic - you are going to roast it, so make sure you have an entire bulb of garlic
- Avocado Oil - we love the flavor this adds to the dish. You can also use olive oil instead.
- Cauliflower - get a large head of cauliflower, you'll be chopping it up
- Cream Cheese - always choose the full-fat kind when you are on keto.
- Grass-fed Butter - do not use margarine, only grass-fed full-fat butter. Salted or unsalted doesn't matter.
- Fresh Rosemary - believe us, fresh rosemary tastes so much better than dried.
- Salt - use your favorite type of salt for flavor.
How to Make Keto Cauliflower Mash
It's actually easier than you might think. There are just a few easy steps - and you'll find all of them in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Here's a quick overview of how we did it.
- Roast the garlic - First, we roasted an entire bulb of garlic in the oven and sprinkled it with avocado oil. This is important because the roasted garlic gives the cauliflower mash this incredible flavor - even better than homemade mashed potatoes.
- Steam the Cauliflower - Next, we chopped the cauliflower up into small florets and steamed them until they were very soft.
- Puree the Cauliflower - Then, we pureed the cauliflower in a food processor. You can also just move the florets to a mixing bowl and use an immersion blender. While it is pureeing, squeeze the roasted garlic so the juices drip into the cauliflower. You'll be able to smell this incredible flavor.
- Add the Rest of the Ingredients - Finally, add in the cream cheese, butter, rosemary, and salt. Puree and process this until it is as smooth as you want it.
How To Store Mashed Cauliflower
This will stay fresh in the refrigerator for about 3-5 days. You might find that the texture changes since it has cream cheese in it. If that happens, just put it in the microwave or in a skillet and warm it up slowly, stirring constantly. It will return to the creamy texture you love.
How to Make it Dairy-Free
If you are lactose-intolerant, there is a way to make this recipe dairy-free. Nothing can totally replace cream cheese. By not using it, you will have a different texture of mashed cauliflower.
But, you can use your favorite dairy-free milk like almond or coconut milk while you are pureeing the cauliflower. This will help it become creamier.
What to Serve with Keto Cauliflower Mash
These main dishes will go perfectly with the rosemary and roasted garlic flavors of this low-carb side dish.
- Roast Turkey with Garlic and Herb Compound Butter
- Oven-Baked Buffalo Chicken Thighs
- Filet Mignon with Blue Cheese Sauce
- Butter Chicken Meatballs
Other Delicious Keto Side Dishes
- Halloween Keto Braised Octopus with Pesto Shirataki Noodles
- Keto Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Sweet Maple Horseradish Sauce
- Keto Brie and Thyme Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Crisped Shallots
- Keto Cauliflower Gratin
Keto Cauliflower Mash with Roasted Garlic and Rosemary
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 large head cauliflower cut into florets
- 3 oz. softened cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter softened
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Slice off the top (about 1/2-inch) of the garlic bulb and drizzle avocado oil over the exposed cloves.
- Wrap the garlic head in parchment paper and then wrap with aluminum foil.
- Place the garlic in the oven and roast for 40 to 45 minutes or until soft. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- As the garlic cools, fill a large pot with one inch of water, insert a steamer basket and place the cauliflower florets in the steamer basket. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Steam for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Transfer the steamed cauliflower to a food processor or blender and squeeze in the individual cloves of roasted garlic.
- Add in the cream cheese, butter, rosemary, and salt and process the cauliflower mixture for 2 minutes or until smooth.
- Garnish with rosemary sprigs.
We Can't Wait To See You Try It!
We love seeing our recipes come to life!! We can’t wait to see how you make these and loving seeing each person's unique spin on it! Tag us on Instagram @cleanketolifestyle or use the hashtag #CKLrecipe!